Common problems/Tips and tricks

Moderator: speedake95

stratogavster

Re: Common problems/Tips and tricks

Post by stratogavster »

As I understand Feedrate and Flowrate are coded into the gcode and are subsequently generated by the slicer software.....these controls are simply global overrides based on a % of the programmed speed / rate.....so 100 = 100% programmed speed as dictated by the slicer....

For all my prints i've stuck with standard feedrates and flowrates held within the slicer profiles but have tuned the global override speed of the feedrate to around 80 - 85% as this gives me the best seed vs quality results.....though temperature has a very close relation to this.....I find the first 2 layers work well at 210 degrees, then there after 195 - 197 works well. If a part has a pointy top i turn the speed down again manually to around 40% o ensure enough cooling time to these last layers don;t become a mess (I am aware of slicer features that handle this automatically)

twicx

Post by twicx »

Thanks for that! Ill definitely try those and see how I get on. Out of interest... Where is the global speed override?

stratogavster

Post by stratogavster »

the overrides are shown in the image already posted.....as standard it reads 100 for 100%

twicx

Post by twicx »

ah i see. And you leave flowrate at 100? What about speed (mm/min) under the extruder section in the bottom left?

stratogavster

Post by stratogavster »

well have to admit I run my machine from a hardware LCD controller.....so I only tune overall speed and temperature.....flowrate seems to be buried deep within the menu structure and haven't bothered to mess with it......speed + temp are the first things to get a feel for.

twicx

Post by twicx »

I'm just printing a model right now and it's coming out pretty good. The model itself is probably like an advanced, pointier version of the 40x10 test object. It's about 150x150x35mm (LxWxH), only 0.5mm thick walls, and no floors or anything. I have the mm/min left at 200, feedrate and flowrate both at 80%. Bed is set to 65, reading at a steady 64.70. The first 2 layers as you suggested were done at 210, and now it's at 195, reading at 195.5. So far, the layers are coming out consistent. There's a tiny bit of Z wobble in my printer, but it's within my own personal tollerance, at least for architecture school! It's going very well so far, so maybe I'm getting close to getting my printer up and running properly. My next mission is to try to print the "roof" for this building, which is just a flat piece, but it goes back to where I was getting jittery prints when it was just a flat+filled piece. I got a better cleaning product for degreasing the bed, it's Mr.Muscle window + glass cleaner, and I'm using a microfiber cloth. I wonder should I use white spirits instead though.

In anycase, if it can print more complex objects with this kind of quality, I'll be very pleased. In fact, if it can print the roof thing without jittery bits, I'll be delighted. I'll put up a photo of the progress later, but I left my camera in my locker in uni, so it'll be later at some stage, but yeah, it looks good.

Cheers for those tips strat. They seem to have really helped.

jpquintero

Post by jpquintero »

Hello, everybody. I turned on my printer this morning and the bed is not warming. Any Idea? Regards

satoer

Post by satoer »

Well more information would be helpful to determine the problem. But my first guess (if it worked before) would be a broken thermistor. This seems to be a delicate part.

Easy detect: If you connect to the printer, is the heated bed temperature approximately the same as the hot end temperature?
My Felix 1.5 printed designs on Thingiverse
E3D V6 Hot end upgrade for your Felix
Tweezer bracket for your Felix
Led bar upgrade for your Felix

jpquintero

Post by jpquintero »

Thanks satoer by your response. The heated bes temperature is like ambient temperature. The bed is still without warming. The termistor seems to be ok. The bed warms sometimes and sometimes not. The problem persists.

gobi

Post by gobi »

hello everybody

i'm printing some gears and other parts for a marble machine i found on thingiverse, and it's going as it should except today i'm getting an error message from repetier that says: echo: cold extrusion prevented.
what does this mean exactly and how do i fix it?