Problems with heating bed - MAX 60 degrees

This is for general discussions. Also FAQ can be found here.

Moderator: speedake95

markus_kyroe

Problems with heating bed - MAX 60 degrees

Post by markus_kyroe »

Hi,

I have started to experience some problems with the heating bed. The temperature can't get above 62 degrees... It is a bit of a problem since I have ordered a lot of ABS, normally I have used PLA and have worked perfectly without problems.

What can the problem be? :roll: I have tightened all the resistors and checked the wiring. It worked in the past. Any clues/ideas?

Thanks in advance,

Best regards,
Markus

satoer

Post by satoer »

If you don't heat the bed, is it room temperature? (About the same temperature as the non heated hot-end?)
My Felix 1.5 printed designs on Thingiverse
E3D V6 Hot end upgrade for your Felix
Tweezer bracket for your Felix
Led bar upgrade for your Felix

markus_kyroe

Post by markus_kyroe »

Yes. They are the same. 21 degrees C...

satoer

Post by satoer »

I can't figure out why you cant get the temperature higher. Maybe a power supply problem? If you heat the heating-bed to the max, and after that heat up the hot-end to 200 degrees, Does the temperature of the heating-bed go down? This might indicating the power supply can't deliver the requested power.

Another possibility is that the heating-bed mosfet is overheating. Although the mosfet can take a serious temperature, I've put a piece of metal to my mosfet (it became way to hot to touch.)
Make sure the metal of the other mosfets do not touch the other mosfets.

Another solution is to isolate the bottom of the heated bed with bubble wrap. The heated bed looses lot of heat trough the bottom.
My Felix 1.5 printed designs on Thingiverse
E3D V6 Hot end upgrade for your Felix
Tweezer bracket for your Felix
Led bar upgrade for your Felix

fastbeer

Post by fastbeer »

Same problem here, can't get the bed hotter then 63*C.
Will try your solutions.

markus_kyroe

Post by markus_kyroe »

Thanks for your reply :-)

Have tried to fix the problem another way around ;-)

I have tried "the trick" with a mixture of acetone and old scrap parts of ABS and use it as a glue between print and bed. The first test went really fine. Bed temp. 63 C and nozzle temp. 230 C. Trying to do some tests with raft and so on. I'll keep you updated 8-)

Cheers

Kjetilei

Post by Kjetilei »

Thanks for the information! This should be helpful for other users trying to print with ABS :)

markus_kyroe

Post by markus_kyroe »

It really works great. At the moment I get the best results with 3 layers of raft (0,15), the mixture of acetone and scrap, set bed temp of 75 C (only reaches about 65 C) and nozzle temp of 235 C.