Filament guide-ring

This is the place to show off your felix printer hacks and improvements.
HLA

Filament guide-ring

Post by HLA »

Hey folks,

One of the best things about 3D printing is leaving it overnight and waking up in the morning when all parts are nice and finished. Since I am using PLA-spools of different sizes, a reliable mechanism for unwinding these is critical. So here is a very simple solution for anyone using spools...

The attached picture shows a spool placed on a spool holder from Guillaume (small stand with a ball bearing). The trick is to mount a ring on the Al-extrusion which allows the filament to unwind smoothly from the spool. Simple as it is, but without the ring, I had some problems of the filament getting stuck somewhere and ruining my prints.

Mounting is easy using the spare parts supplied with the printer.

Best,
HLA
Attachments
Foto 2.JPG
Foto 2.JPG (41.21 KiB) Viewed 1084 times
Foto 1.JPG
Foto 1.JPG (36.16 KiB) Viewed 1084 times
FilamentGuidev2_fin.stl
STL file
(210.02 KiB) Downloaded 127 times

gfeliksdal
Site Admin

Post by gfeliksdal »

Hi HLA,

This weekend I printed out your filament guide and it works very well. I end up placing it at a different location, but I now place the filament rolls behind the printer without the filament getting stuck somewhere.
IMG_20120626_062329.jpg
IMG_20120626_062310.jpg
Thanks,

Kind regards,

Guillaume.

suraki

Post by suraki »

Hi HLA,

It's simply the best! I am satisfied with it. :)
Do you print standing or laying position? And what printing options (speed, temperature, profile) would you suggest?

Best!

HLA

Post by HLA »

Hi Suraki,

I am glad you like it :)

I place spools exactly as shown on the pictures above. Don't forget that the spool needs to rotate freely - use a spool stand with a bearing (608ZZ works like a charm).

"Normal Quality Profile" works well. Temperature depends on PLA, but it worked from 180-210, depending on your needs. E.g. 180 for good overhangs (=complex parts), and 210 for outstanding layer bonding (=strong parts).

Enjoy printing

cybor

Post by cybor »

HLA wrote:Hey folks,

One of the best things about 3D printing is leaving it overnight and waking up in the morning when all parts are nice and finished. Since I am using PLA-spools of different sizes, a reliable mechanism for unwinding these is critical. So here is a very simple solution for anyone using spools...

The attached picture shows a spool placed on a spool holder from Guillaume (small stand with a ball bearing). The trick is to mount a ring on the Al-extrusion which allows the filament to unwind smoothly from the spool. Simple as it is, but without the ring, I had some problems of the filament getting stuck somewhere and ruining my prints.

Mounting is easy using the spare parts supplied with the printer.

Best,
HLA
Hi,
Where can I find the files for the spool holder ?

gobi

Post by gobi »

Hi HLA,

just printed two rings yesterday, put them on the printer today and they work like a charm so far, thank you (: