Plug in the powersupply and... nothing.

Help eachother out with assembly problems.
twicx

Plug in the powersupply and... nothing.

Post by twicx »

Ok, so I'm now desperately close to getting going, and I've a new problem. I've just done all the software stuff, and when it tells me to plug in the power supply, I do that and nothing happens. No fans moving, nothing. I don't even know where to begin debugging this. I left my multimeter up in the office, and I cant get that till next weekend. Any ideas where to even begin checking?

hvdd

Post by hvdd »

did you connect the 2 wires together as mentioned in the manual ?

page 34
After shortening strip a short black and the short green wire. Connect them to eachother. The green wire is the ON-switch.

twicx

Post by twicx »

ok, so some slight progress, but now i have a new problem.

Turns out the connection between said wires was a bad solder joint. Redid that, and it powered on. The 2 fans came on. Then the printer started doin stuff!

It seems to be doing a sort of cycle. Each time, the Z axis will move down slightly, the Y axis will move across slightly, then it'll repeat. The biggest worry is that when it gets to the Y opto sensor, it tries to keep going, so I unplugged it, reset it, and tried again, and the same thing happens.

satoer

Post by satoer »

Have you allready uploaded the firmware to the Arduino? (No need for the powersupply for that)
My Felix 1.5 printed designs on Thingiverse
E3D V6 Hot end upgrade for your Felix
Tweezer bracket for your Felix
Led bar upgrade for your Felix

twicx

Post by twicx »

Yeah. I tried redoing that. Would an older version make any difference?

hvdd

Post by hvdd »

hoi,
only the latest release is the good one. index E
i had some problems with older versions of ramps.
follow the instructions in the manual step by step !
rgds

twicx

Post by twicx »

Ah. I think I'm finally getting somewhere.

I did some investigation work, and I think I'm making progress. I went onto the arduino site, just to check if it was something to do with the board, and I came across a list of drivers for various arduino boards. Turns out they're in the arduino folder when you download the arduino software. I updated the drivers from what was on the http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/VCP.htm site, to the Arduino Mega 2650 or whichever it is, re-uploaded the marlin stuff to it, and that seems to have stopped the cycles. In manual control, the Y and Z axis move fine, but i found the X one wasnt. I checked the little screw that connects the Spindle to the motor axis, and it was a little loose, but now it's going fine after being tightened. So it's looking good so far.

Now, onto the next step, and a MAJOR problem has come up...

So I tried the various home sensors. X - No problem. Z - also no problem. Y.... uh oh.

It moved across and went "through" the opto, but, I think it might have actually hit the opto, just where the LED is. The LED looks scraped or something, and isn't coming on any more. I'm going to just try swapping it with one of the others now, but if not, I think I'm going to need a new one, although I wonder if I could repair this one. If it's just the LED, even if it is an SMD, that's repairable. At the very least, we've a particularly good electronics engineering department in my uni. they could fix it I reckon.

On a somewhat related note, could I run a test print without that opto?

satoer

Post by satoer »

Well its possible, but you have to remove the Y homing G-code in the generated G-code. My advise: Don't do it. Just fix the opto. Replace it with the X Opto to test if the opto is broken, or a wire is somewhere broken. By the way, the LED on my opto is not SMD. I find it hard to believe that the led is broken, and if besides that, if the opto does not work, it's probably some power supply to the opto failure. (measure with a volt meter the voltage between the red and black wire on the terminal screws from the opto. I think it should be 5V). To test the opto manually move the bed to the middle (by turning the motors by hand) and press the home button on the Y (or X if you test that one) and put a piece of plastic (or other non-transparent material between it). If it does not stop the stepper motors, pull the USB cable. Especially if you test the Z opto. Don't let the heated bed crash the hot-end. It damages the Kapton, and it can damage the delicate nozzle hole.

twicx

Post by twicx »

Ok, more progress.

Swapped y sensor with x sensor, problem solved! So I calibrated the table height, got it pretty close. Then I did the other steps and got to the run job part of the test print. When I hit run job, it starts and follows the right movements, but only little bits of filament come out. It seems to be feeding ok. When I heat it up, a tiny string feeds out that I take off with a tweesers, but when it actually comes to run the job.... Nothing really comes out. So close yet so far.... :-(

satoer

Post by satoer »

Does the extruder motor skip steps? If so, adjust the pot on the extruder stepper driver controller (turn tiny bit clockwise). Or does the motor turn, but the fillament doesn't move? try to adjust more tension on the extruder bearing. Or the temperature may be to low? If the extrudermotor stops at regular intervals, the stepperdriver might be overheating. Then you have to adjust the stepper driver pot (turn tiny bit counterclockwise).
Be carful with the pots, these are delicate.