First filament test doesn't work

Maanite

First filament test doesn't work

Post by Maanite »

Hi.

I just today got my Felix 1.0 rev E assembled and the software running (on a Mac). When trying to follow the first print instructions on the page 53 of the instructions, I got stuck on the following:

"Run the extruder until a steady flow of plastic comes out"

I put the filament in place, through the hole and between the brass wheel with the teeth and the smooth bearing behind it. Then from the Repetier-Host I tried to extrude the filament. On the first try the motor turned nicely but the tension was apparently too low. I kept trying with higher tensions but most of the time the motor just kept going the same tiny amount back and forth and not even trying to extract the filament. After the extrusion attempt stopped (I usually tried with 10-30 mm at a time), the motor usually ticked for a while. When I waited the ticking eventually stopped and when I tried again, the motor turned for a half turn or so and then returned to this back-forth movement. After half an hour of this I retracted the filament a bit (that worked pretty much the same way), loosened the tension and removed the filament. About 5 cm of the filament had gone through the teeth and the very end was melted.

Can anyone tell me what's wrong? Is the tension too high or low, or is there something else wrong?
Any help appreciated.

satoer

Post by satoer »

Have you adjusted the extruder stepper driver pot? turn it a tiny bit clockwise to give the motor more power. You have to find the balance between power and overheating. If the stepper driver overheats the motor stops turning in regular intervals. If it has to little power, it will skip steps.
My Felix 1.5 printed designs on Thingiverse
E3D V6 Hot end upgrade for your Felix
Tweezer bracket for your Felix
Led bar upgrade for your Felix

Maanite

Post by Maanite »

Thank you, that worked. Still not sure if the setting is quite right though :D
I also tuned pots of the axis motors according to instructions elsewhere in the forum and adjusted the first layer thickness. So I'm getting there, but obviously something is still wrong. Here are my 6 first attempts after getting the filament feed to work.
First print tries
First print tries
At the moment I seem to have at least 3 problems:
- when the printer starts a new layer, it makes a (relatively) big blob of PLA at the corner
- at some point the extruder gets a bit stuck on that blob and the print gets detached from the heated bed
- the overall print quality is somewhat coarse, because extrusion still isn't very smooth; instead of steady flow with uniform thickness I get what looks like a half-melted string of pearls

Any ideas what to adjust next?

Maanite

Post by Maanite »

Hi again.

Success! :D
It turned out that the pot of the extruder motor was completely off its right position. When I couldn't find correct setting by small adjustments, I turned it all the way down and then quarter of turn up (90°). That worked like magic, now the extruded flow is nice and smooth.

Here is the first succesful print.
IMG_2567.jpg
It seems the next problems to solve are the curves (round parts are not circular) and what I suspect is the dreaded Z-wobble.

Kjetilei

Post by Kjetilei »

Congratulations!

Now you should look into the z-wobble ;) Happy tinkering :)

Maanite

Post by Maanite »

Hi again.

I'm stuck with trying to fix the z-wobble. In Common problems -thread Guillaume writes:

- keep rotating the coupling and try to reposition the z-axis motor including bracket in such a way that the shaft will get more in-line with the z-axis spindle

And I've been trying, but I always end up with roughly the same amount of wobble. My z-wobble is clearly visible on the motor end of the z-spindle. I suppose that means that the reason is the motor being a bit off line compared with the spindle, not the other possible reasons. So, can anyone give more specific instructions of how you have managed to reposition the motor? It seems to me that in any case, only wobble along one axis can be fixed with this bracket design, because in the end the bracket bolt always tightens the bracket against the frame.

Does anyone else feel the need for a bracket that could be reliably adjusted with two screws or something?

gfeliksdal
Site Admin

Post by gfeliksdal »

Hi Maanite,

That you have such significant wobble, can also be because that your z-axis spindle is not straight (anymore). Is that true?

Kind regards,

Guillaume

Maanite

Post by Maanite »

Hi.

I'm just about to start installing the 1.5 upgrade. I'll remove the spindle and check if it's straight while I'm at it.

:)

Maanite

Post by Maanite »

Hi again.

I checked the z-spindle. While it's not exactly crooked, it's doesn't seem completely straight either, so at least some of the wobble comes from the spindle. Without a proper reference it's hard to say how much, but my estimate is somewhere around 0,2 mm. I'll send you an e-mail and order a new spindle.

Thanks.

satoer

Post by satoer »

Maanite wrote:Hi.

I'm just about to start installing the 1.5 upgrade. I'll remove the spindle and check if it's straight while I'm at it.

:)
I don't get it, youve just assembled a new Felix 1? When did you bought it?
My Felix 1.5 printed designs on Thingiverse
E3D V6 Hot end upgrade for your Felix
Tweezer bracket for your Felix
Led bar upgrade for your Felix