Im done figthing the extruder

This is for general discussions. Also FAQ can be found here.

Moderator: speedake95

dognotdog

Re: Im done figthing the extruder

Post by dognotdog »

Lioric, where are you located? maybe one of us near you can help out printing a new bracket.

Lioric

Post by Lioric »

Thank you, I'm currently in Argentina, so I don't think any Felix user is close (or even in Latin America)

But after dismantling the whole hot-end assembly, heating the tip with a butane torch and using some very, very thin wires (and lots of patience) I have managed to unclog the tip, so it is back on working

I will test the E3D-V4 HotEnd, hopefully based on that design, extruder jams can be reduced:
By using stainless steel insulation and active cooling we have reduced the distance in which the plastic transitions from ambient temperatures to extrusion temperatures to 2mm. An extremely short transition from cold filament to molten plastic provides highly precise extrusion with little extrusion force.

gfeliksdal
Site Admin

Post by gfeliksdal »

Hi Lioric,

That sucks...again...What do you think causes these clogs? Where/when does it happen? Is it in the tip or somewhere else? The E3D-V4 seems interesting, but if it the issue is in the tip for you, I guess other hot-ends will have the same problems.

Lioric

Post by Lioric »

Good question, most of the time seems to be related to bad tolerances in the filament (mixed with the tolerances at the peek and metal tip) as when there are clogs, it keeps repeating after a few minutes or hours, but then no clogs for weeks

The last clog was at the tip, it was the first of this kind (at least with the replacement hotend).

The main issue is not that it clogs very often, but when it does, it is a major issue, as all the parts, wires, thermistor, heater cartridge are not meant to be dismantled, and the forces needed to clean and disassemble the hotend are not minor, and there is no a very straightforward way to clean it (probably a proper drill/wire might be provided with the kit to clean it)

If you see the E3d-V4 hotend, it seems to be factored with servicing in mind, the heater cartridge is hold by a hex screw) and all the parts are made to be fitted with a wrench. And if really needed (if you look at the design of that hotend) I suppose that you can just order a few tips to have as a replacement if the tip is damaged and quickly replace it. The thermal transition area is really small with 2mm (probably less pressure and friction) and the internal design seems to be made really well to reduce plastic expansion on joints

gfeliksdal
Site Admin

Post by gfeliksdal »

Hi Lioric,

Regarding bad tolerances of filament, I assume it is quite warm where you live. Do you have the filament perhaps in the sun or a warm area? It might influence the diameter at some point, where it is wounded with a little more tension. Just a wild guess. Till so far I have rarely experienced bad filament tolerances, but when it happens it is quite annoying, because it ruins a print and requires you to maintain the hot-end.

What extruder version do you have? Did you update to the revision F extruder? That is much easier to service compared to the first ones.
The transition area with the Felix hot-end is also 2mm, but it would have been indeed a good idea to have a screwable tip, maybe for the next version. What I like about the e3d hot-end is that it has only metal parts, however to have a thermal break at the 2mm transition area it needs a really thin tube. I wonder how strong it is. Next to that I also wonder if they can use the high temperatures for the long term, because the thermistors I found are maximally till max 300degC, so a thermocouple would be required.

Lioric

Post by Lioric »

Actually is the ambient temps are more in the 15 to 23 C (12 to 14 at nights). The filament is in my office in a cool place, not exposed to sunlight

The extruder version is I think the previous from the F version. I liked that design better that the latest

If you want you can follow the development of that extruder on reprap forums, it seems that they are working on a bowden extruder version with a PFA tubing (that attaches at the extruder top), and switchable tips with different specs, here is the link:

http://forums.reprap.org/read.php?1,197736,page=2