Filament guide and cleaning cloth

This is the place to show off your felix printer hacks and improvements.
kimmoli

Filament guide and cleaning cloth

Post by kimmoli »

Now the printer is up and running, so just posting some of first prints...

Filament guiding and cleaning - Tested so far only with manual extrusion/retraction and fast X movement... some tuning needed

-kimmo
Attachments
Filament guide with cleaning cloth
Filament guide with cleaning cloth
Filament guide
Filament guide

dognotdog

Post by dognotdog »

I must say, the the guide on the extruder is quite genious! However, the cleaning cloth should be right where the filament enters the extruder, in my opinion, to minimize the amount of dust entering. I'm not sure if your arrangement doesn't make it worse, due to the cloth generating static electricity?

Either way, props to you for the idea. My suggestion would be to put some PTFE tubing between your two brackets, and run the filament through that, to prevent it from picking up any dust, as well es extruder movement tugging on the filament spool.

kimmoli

Post by kimmoli »

dognotdog wrote:...if your arrangement doesn't make it worse, due to the cloth generating static electricity?
I was thinking that could i use some antistatic cloth (used for e.g. camera cleaning) instead of this simple bandage... lets see... i'll send update when i have run some real tests and made my modifications.

I have now go to get some PTFE tube...

gfeliksdal
Site Admin

Post by gfeliksdal »

Hi kimmo, indeed ingenious :). Does it also work when the extruder is close to the x-axis motor?

kimmoli

Post by kimmoli »

It works with PLA (not with Arnitel) The "tube" section needs to be shortened, as PLA wants to keep it's rolling-radius.
There is some friction, but when i get some PTFE tube, i make improvements and post updated results.

gfeliksdal
Site Admin

Post by gfeliksdal »

Ah ok, maybe you could make the part connected to the frame hinge-able?

kimmoli

Post by kimmoli »

I will add PTFE tube between extruder part and my support part, tube will come through the support part, and the cleaning cloth will go directly in front of the tube.
And yes, The other support part will be hingeable somehow (the part on upper picture above), it worked fine when i did keep the bolt loose (but after one hour print it was completely off...)

kimmoli

Post by kimmoli »

Used one of spare bearings, and made this ** NOT TESTED YET **
filguidev2p1.jpg
filguidev2rotating.jpg
I have pretuned g-codes for Felix 1.5 if anyone interested. It was tricky to get outer diameter right (to snap) for bearing 4mm hole. ((Also managed to make code which halted the printer... ))

dognotdog

Post by dognotdog »

Nice! I found that I need .2-.3 bigger holes than nominal, for most stuff to snap right. Also, what helped, is not printing a cylinder for stuff that needs to snap into metal holes, but a flower like stud.

I'm also glad I'm not the only one who produced gcode that halts the printer :)

Kjetilei

Post by Kjetilei »

Great additions! Please share the gcode/stl :)