fan doesn't stop

Discussions about mechanics
sithlorddavid

fan doesn't stop

Post by sithlorddavid »

from the moment i turn on the printer, the fan is always going and doesn't stop. i have a discontinued model (the felix 2.0) and noone seems to have any technical knowledge on it. i really need the fan to work properly first because it is audibly annoying and second because it is keeping the extruder from heating, so i can't print. any help would be appreciated.

kerog

Post by kerog »

sithlorddavid wrote:from the moment i turn on the printer, the fan is always going and doesn't stop. i have a discontinued model (the felix 2.0) and noone seems to have any technical knowledge on it. i really need the fan to work properly first because it is audibly annoying and second because it is keeping the extruder from heating, so i can't print. any help would be appreciated.
There are two fans: one directed at the extruder, and the other through a shroud at the tip of the hot end. Neither would be able to keep the extruder from heating. The one directed at the extruder is always on as long as the ATX power supply is on. It will auto shut off after a few minutes of idle time. Without this fan, when heating, you would have heat creep up into the cold end and the bore through the cold end would get clogged.

The other fan is controlled by your slicer/gcode, or can be manually turned on and off using the Repetier Host or other manual control interface. It helps filament cool and solidify quickly after being extruded from the hot nozzle tip.

sithlorddavid

Post by sithlorddavid »

alright then, i guess i have a different problem. the extruder is not heating up, but still tries to print anyway. i end up with the motors going but nothing is printing. thanks for replying.

kerog

Post by kerog »

sithlorddavid wrote:alright then, i guess i have a different problem. the extruder is not heating up, but still tries to print anyway. i end up with the motors going but nothing is printing. thanks for replying.
Before trying to print, you should use the Repetier Host manual controls to heat up the extruder and do some test extrusion. The user manual gives pretty detailed instructions, which are probably no different for the 2.0 vs. the 3.0 or 3.1. Repetier Host also has a temperature plot so you can see what is going on. If you can provide a more detailed explanation of exactly what you are doing and what response you are seeing, it might be possible to troubleshoot your problem.