Bed doesnt reacher higher than 60 degrees

Discussions about the electronics
dennisje182

Bed doesnt reacher higher than 60 degrees

Post by dennisje182 »

Hello,

I was hoping someone could help me with a problem i have with getting my heated bed on temperature. I have a Felix 1.5, but with a new control board, new power supply, the new heated bed with kapton foil heater and double layered aluminum bed.

Somehow i can't get the temp higher than 62 degrees (it slowly flats out at 62 after a while)....i already insulated the bottom of the bed with double layered cartboard. And also ruled out errors in the board/power supply by connecting the bed directly to a 12v power supply. No difference.

I believe it should be possible to get the bed at least at 80 C (I read people reach 100 C!)

So i would want to know if it is possible to reach higher temps and if so, what could be causing that I don't. Maybe faulty kapton foil heater?

Thnx in advance!

Dreide

Post by Dreide »

Yes, faulty heater is one option, faulty temp sensor is the other, assuming that they didn't ship the new PCB with a wrong or outdated firmware.
Can you disconnect the heater and measure its ohmic resistance?
At room temperature, what is the readout for the bed temperature (and the extruder temperature)?
Felix 2.0->3.0dual * Repetier (host+firmware) * KISSlicer Pro, Simplify3D * Cubify Design

dennisje182

Post by dennisje182 »

Dreide wrote:Yes, faulty heater is one option, faulty temp sensor is the other, assuming that they didn't ship the new PCB with a wrong or outdated firmware.
Can you disconnect the heater and measure its ohmic resistance?
At room temperature, what is the readout for the bed temperature (and the extruder temperature)?
Thnx for your reply! The readouts for the bed and extruder are practically the same around room temperature.

I will see if i can score a multimeter for checking the resistance in the heater cartridge of the bed. How much do i have to expect that it will be? I read that the extruder heater should be 3,6 ohm for 12v (e3d).

Dreide

Post by Dreide »

dennisje182 wrote: How much do i have to expect that it will be? I read that the extruder heater should be 3,6 ohm for 12v (e3d).
For mine I measure 1 Ohm (I mean for the heated bed, not the extruder). And you can measure it while it is connected, just switch off the printer and wait a bit until all capacitors have discharged.
Felix 2.0->3.0dual * Repetier (host+firmware) * KISSlicer Pro, Simplify3D * Cubify Design

Sander_Felix

Post by Sander_Felix »

The reply of Dreide provides the solution to find the problem.

Please let us know if you have solved the issue.

dennisje182

Post by dennisje182 »

So....I've been doing some testing with a friend and we found the problem.

It turns out it was the power supply. A while back i thought i blew out the original power supply when i short circuited my old circuit board, so I got a new one which, on paper, would give enough power. This wasnt a Felix power supply, just a ATX power supply

But we had a good look at the graphs and saw that the power supply turned off and on after a while when the extruder was also heating up. Then we measured the power supply output and saw that it dropped to 10V when heating up the bed and the extruder. It just couldnt give the constant 12V the hardware needs to warm up.

So we had a look at the old power supply and it was somehow still working fine. It also heated up the table (up tot 75 C) and extruder just fine.

So problem solved!

Sander_Felix

Post by Sander_Felix »

Good to hear you solved the problem!