E3D-v4 HotEnd

This is the place to show off your felix printer hacks and improvements.
satoer

Re: E3D-v4 HotEnd

Post by satoer »

@Hoolito: Why would you want to complicate the cooling that way? The 40mm fans are not that heavy. If you want more weight reduction after removing the X stepper motor, the Y heatbed is more of a bottleneck in terms of weight. If you want small tubing's to the X carriage it probably needs a higher pressure pump the get the same cooling as the low pressure fans.

@Kjetilei: Didn't weight it (and don’t feel like dismantling the whole thing again ;) ). But with losing the stepper motor removes most of the weight.
Print quality is great, but it was also great with the original Felix hot end. I didn’t had problems with the weight. My main problem was retraction. The filament became stuck behind the PEEK after retraction (even though the aluminium upper part was really tight screwed into the peek. So I needed to adjust the retraction really low which resulted in oozing all over the part. With this new hot end I retract 2 mm without any problems
The second problem was that I couldn’t heat up the hot end reliable above 240 degrees. With this hot end I can easily reach 270 degrees. And way faster. Don’t know why, but it works great.

With the conversion I added a removable glass plate on the heated bed. Adding weight. So the improved X quality is probable killed by the heavier Y haha.
I did this to easily change the print bed adhesion properties. Now I can change between PLA and ABS simply by changing the glass plate. (one has an adhesive PLA sticker for PLA, one has just the bare glass with glue stick for ABS).
My Felix 1.5 printed designs on Thingiverse
E3D V6 Hot end upgrade for your Felix
Tweezer bracket for your Felix
Led bar upgrade for your Felix

hoolito

Post by hoolito »

Satoer, the Swiss have been selling wristwatch "complications" for ages and made a lot of many with them :-)
Just wanted your opinion.. of course, flow will need to be equal or better, otherwise it's a bad idea.
Felix 2.0

satoer

Post by satoer »

Well... because of the weight of the coolers isn't a issue, I think direct cooling is way beter.

The only thing that can be annoying is the sound of the coolers... A better more silent indirect cooling solution for the hot-end might be a water-cooling system. Sadly you can't cool the extruded filament with water cooling :lol:

I've released the design!
Discussion over here:
New extruder carriage design for E3D Bowden Hot end
Bowden feeder with easy release on fillament tension

seaton

Post by seaton »

Thanks for releasing the design Satoer, I love the quick release extruder.

I ordered a couple of these hotends (E3D) last week to play around with, so your post has been timely for me :)

Would you be able to incorporate the head with the carriage used with the Dual Extruder design that Superhornet released with his Dual hotbed carriage? http://www.felixprinters.com/forum/view ... ?f=7&t=451 I like the idea of a changeable head (for my laser cutter/engraver) and using a common carriage/mount would be a perfect solution.

Regards,

Stephen...
Stephen...

Felix 2.0 -> Felix 3.0 dual
Simplify3D Slicer, Kisslicer
Have you added your Felix to the Map? http://goo.gl/maps/HajnZ

http://blog.strobotics.com.au

JTa

Post by JTa »

I second the idea of having common mount.. :)

@satoer: Are all those parts of yours printed in PLA? If so, how does it handle the 270C temperatures..?

satoer

Post by satoer »

Before designing the carriage I have taken a look at the Superhornet version. But, the original version from Guillaume was more elegantly designed. Besides that, the opto-sensor blocking fin was way longer. Also the mounting-holes weren't convenient placed for my extruder bracket design. So, I decided to use the original baseplate and model it exactly for my needs.

But, since this part is designed by Guillaume, it's more than fair to ask his permission to release it. I don't think he will prohibited it, he's been very helpful so far. I've send him a PM about it. But if Guillaume does prohibited it, making this thing compatible with Superhornet's version is alway's an option.

About the common mount. I like the idea, but I'm not sure the version of Superhornet is the way to go... Why do you want a common mount? Probably because the easy interchangeable between hot-ends, lasers and even maybe a dremel or something... Why not design a mount that doesn't need any bolds. Just push it in, pull a lever or something to make it firmly play-free fit and its good to go. Changing 3 bolds every time you want to switch isn't really user-friendly.

I thought about a Dual-extruder version. But, there's a annoying problem with dual extruders that really need to be solved before I want a dual extruder on my machine. That's oozing from the extruder that isn't in use. Besides that, E3d is soon releasing a multi extruder (not sure if it where 4 or 5 nozzle's) called " kraken"... I want to wait for that, maybe its really interesting.

Everything is PLA and 270 degrees is no problem at al. The upper part stay's real cool. I've printed a lot of ABS now on a 75 degrees heatbed, and the only thing that I broke was the glass printed on. (it really sticks on it with Pritt power stick)

Bachgassenbande

Post by Bachgassenbande »

The Kraken is relesaed for order
http://e3d-online.com/The-Kraken ;)
Felix 2.0
E3D Kraken Hotend
3mm Glas bed
LED light bar upgrade

Bachgassenbande

Post by Bachgassenbande »

Just asked for dimensions and recieved this pre released version.
Attachments
Kraken.jpg
Kraken.jpg (47.15 KiB) Viewed 629 times
Felix 2.0
E3D Kraken Hotend
3mm Glas bed
LED light bar upgrade