Extruder trouble

This is for general discussions. Also FAQ can be found here.

Moderator: speedake95

killejano

Extruder trouble

Post by killejano »

I just assembled my felix last saturday and printed fine with the filament that came with it. After that I changed to this other filament and I've had almost nothing but trouble ever since. The filament is black pla 1.70mm diameter and it's uniform. It however has a harder and more shiny surface that the one that came with the printer.

Main problem is the hot end jamming up and thus the extruder makes a huge dent in the filament and that's it. No more material flow. All I have to do to get it back working is to pull back the filament, cut it and feed it back in.
I've tried several different settings for temp and for speed and tried to tension the extruder more or less, but it stil jams up randomly.

One thing I noticed yesterday was that if I tension the extruder enough it curles up the filament and it takes more force to ram it trough the hot end. Loosening the extruder arm helps with the curl but then we get back to the roller just destroying the filament.

Has anyone had similar problems?

I was thinking about trying a thing to help the filament curling. There is a bearing that is smaller in outside diameter than the one the ext. arm uses. So if I make a brass piece on the bearing that has the same grooves as the roller on the motor it should make the same marks on both sides of the filament and not curl so much iven if thensioned much.

I've allready ordered some hopefully better filament, but it also would be nice to resolve this issue to prevent havin problems in the future

angryangel

Post by angryangel »

Hello

im new here Just orderd Yesterday my Printer so i´m realy new here

but is it possible that the ne filament is ABS Filament not PLA?

Greetings
Charly

dognotdog

Post by dognotdog »

Did you clean the extruder? Dust or other contaminants sometimes make it behave in funny ways. Also, check that the temperature stays up during printing. Also important to have some piece of cloth or sponge to wipe dust off the filament. If all this doesn't help, it may well be the filament that's bad.

killejano

Post by killejano »

I have a piece of cloth wiping the filament and very clean conditions in other ways too. I was able to print smaller parts with it last night tho. Printed two ext. arms and had no problems.

The jamming is quite ramdom. Sometimes it might stop after 5min and sometimes it can go 1 hour with out jamming.
Faster speeds seem to work better. @120% speed the extruder had no problems. Otherwise the quality ofcourse did suffer.

killejano

Post by killejano »

I'm testing my new extruder arm roller now. It did not eliminate all of the curling, but at liest theres marks on both side of the filament so it takes much less force to straighten it. Also I replaced the washers with a coil spring.

The pic shows how the filament curls when the extruder arm is tensioned to the poin of skipping steps and then loosened a litle. So very thigt, but it shows nicely what happens.
Attachments
filament curl.JPG
roller.JPG
ext_arm.JPG

killejano

Post by killejano »

A nother failure. Things was going fine at first, but the pist stopped due to a communication failure. Then I restarted and in jammed up again.

Now I'm trying out this new sprocket that I made. So far so good...
Attachments
feeder_sprocket.JPG

dognotdog

Post by dognotdog »

You might be better off trying some other filament, I've never seen PLA curl like that in the extruder. But nice work on the sprockets!

killejano

Post by killejano »

I'm hoping my filament order arrives today. I'm just messing about meanwhile.

I actuallu managed to print a whole electronics box base section, but I tossed to the trash bin because it had some missing layers so it was too britle.

satoer

Post by satoer »

I don't get it. How can it curl if the hot-end inlet is just a couple of mm below it? Also I think the curved washers work better then the rubber washer solution you've got here. Have you adjusted the extruder stepper motor driver pot in the electronics box?
My Felix 1.5 printed designs on Thingiverse
E3D V6 Hot end upgrade for your Felix
Tweezer bracket for your Felix
Led bar upgrade for your Felix

killejano

Post by killejano »

Actually they are plate springs. I tried them and tossed them. Now I just have a coil spring wich works perfect.