Felix with J head and bowden tube!

This is the place to show off your felix printer hacks and improvements.
Fujitsa

Felix with J head and bowden tube!

Post by Fujitsa »

Hey guys,

So I've had my Felix 1.5 for a while now, and though I love the overall package, I felt there were a few issues that had to be addressed. The two biggest problems I've had was the jamming of the hot end, and the warping of the extruder plate due to heat.

The hot end, when fresh works great, however after a few hours of printing, it begins to jam. I think the jamming happens because of too much friction, due to printing pla with a PEEK barrel.

The warping happens due to the inability of the hot end to dissipate heat, before it reaches the top of the barrel. Leaving the printed parts hot while it carries the stepper motor, which eventually causes warping.

To deal with these problems, I decided to go with a reliable and robust hot end, I choose the J head mkIV .4mm nozzle barrel, and I also removed the motor from the carriage, by using a bowden tube, reducing potential strain of weight. All parts are from thingiverse, apart from the custom extruder carriage, which was redesigned by me.

This set-up finally allows me to print consistently without having to deal with those two problems and gives my felix new life!
20130424_124628.jpg
20130424_124642.jpg
20130424_124651.jpg
20130424_124656.jpg

satoer

Post by satoer »

Interesting. Although I don't understand the warping part. I don't have clogging problems either. One thing I have adjusted to prevent clogging is feeding the fillament trough a piece of sponge to clean the fillament, and put the hot end top part cooler on 12V instead of 5V.

But one advantage I see is the light weight of the extruder carriage. This might be a good solution for dual extrusion without the weight of two stepper motors carrying around.
My Felix 1.5 printed designs on Thingiverse
E3D V6 Hot end upgrade for your Felix
Tweezer bracket for your Felix
Led bar upgrade for your Felix

Lioric

Post by Lioric »

NICE!

This exact same thing (with a different extruder, the e3d extruder, and the feeder stepper placed on the printer's base extrusion) was in my list of things to mod to improve the printer.

Really NICE!

Do you have plans on sharing the stl's of the stepper brackets?

dognotdog

Post by dognotdog »

Do you have any prints to show? I'm interested in how well that setup handles stringing and oozing, as I couldn't make a bowden setup work near as nicely as the direct extruder with the stock hot-end.

Fujitsa

Post by Fujitsa »

@satoer
Some people I know get these issues while others seem to not ever have them come up, this is what the warping of the part looked like:
20130428_130223.jpg
20130428_130228.jpg
So I think what happened, was that with the old extruder head, the heat travels up through the barrel, and starts to heat up the plastic around the area and it starts to sag, though turning my fan to 12v, could have potentially save me. I'd definitely like to push the print speed as well to see how fast I can go :D

@Lioric
Thanks!, and here you go http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:81020 :)

@dognotdog
Here are some images of my better prints
20130428_122713.jpg
20130428_122722.jpg
20130428_122729.jpg
The only problem I'm getting is that the print will often have "pimples" either because of retraction or speed, so i'm still trying to deal with the bowden tube and set up the prints perfectly right, but my friend has an ultimaker, and it runs on a bowden, and he gets great prints, so I believe its just a matter of settings, I am using pronterface with slic3r, So I may gave Repetier a go to see if its from the software.

angryangel

Post by angryangel »

Hi

this is a very interisting mod to the felix pelix printer. i also like the idea of a bownden printhead. have you made any sucsess withe the settings for better quality?
i have some questions
how have you fixed the J-head in your plate?
have you also some files from the extruder?
wich j-head have you used? is the termistor and the heater fully compatible with the felix elektronic?

greetings
Angel

Fujitsa

Post by Fujitsa »

Hi angryangel

Due to the lower weight of the extruder carriage the main advantage is being able to print at higher speeds with a good resolution, I'm able to print at 150mm/s fairly well, though there are still a few small issues
how have you fixed the J-head in your plate?
The J head sits on a slot and is clamped on using the bowden tube feeder "the white bit"
have you also some files from the extruder?
Yeh, the file is on thingiverse, however I'm working on a new version with better fan mounts, heres the link: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:81020
wich j-head have you used? is the termistor and the heater fully compatible with the felix elektronic?
I was using the MarkIV J-Head, but was having issues with the PTFE liner on the inside, as it was slipping around and was causing some jamming, so I'm currently using a makergear hot end, and am very happy with the setup, the only issue, is that the extruder gets slightly hot and there is some warping to the x-axis carriage. I will continue to develop the carriage, and eventually get one cnc'ed out of aluminium when I'm happy with the result.

Hope this helps!

Cheers,
Zheng

angryangel

Post by angryangel »

Thanks for the Answers

the file on thingiverse i had allread found i need the files for the drive for the filament wher the motor is mounted

thankyou
angel