First test prints on Felix 2.0

Hugues

First test prints on Felix 2.0

Post by Hugues »

Hi guys,

Received my Felix 2.0 recently, pre-assembled.

Started some test prints tonight using the pre-defined setups in Repetier host, normal quality no support, and then high quality no support.

In short video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76QklFJdLH0,

i'm pretty satisfied, actually the quality at "normal " = 0.2mm layer height is already pretty good and stable. I still have some tweaking to do to get a stable print at "high quality", the first layer did not stick good enough, it was like a pearl string, guess my print head was too high ?

I also tried to print at 0.05mm, but there was barely any plastic coming out, i'll keep this for later, if i ever need that quality.

Your comments are welcomed of course !

One question:

each time the print starts, it prints a little pile of plastic near home position, surely there is a purpose for this. But what is strange is that the pile is rather high and then the print head goes back first to home position and then move towards the center of the bed, but without lifting the head, so the head hits the pile of plastic and sometimes drags it along, screwing up the first layers. There must be a way around this , right ?

thanks for your help,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76QklFJdLH0
Hugues
Regards from Switzerland

satoer

Post by satoer »

Looks great! No visible signs of Z-wobbling.

The extrusion pile of PLA is to fill the head with fillament and flush it from air bubbles. I use the tweezers to grab the pile away just after its finished extruding.
My Felix 1.5 printed designs on Thingiverse
E3D V6 Hot end upgrade for your Felix
Tweezer bracket for your Felix
Led bar upgrade for your Felix

Hugues

Post by Hugues »

satoer wrote:Looks great! No visible signs of Z-wobbling.

The extrusion pile of PLA is to fill the head with fillament and flush it from air bubbles. I use the tweezers to grab the pile away just after its finished extruding.
Thanks
I also grab it away but ... is there a simple way to simply lift the head over it or around it ?
There are so many parameters in there....
Hugues
Regards from Switzerland

satoer

Post by satoer »

You can also create you're own G-code startup preferences, or simply delete the flush from the G-code start.
Here you can read all the Gcode commands:
http://reprap.org/wiki/G-code
My Felix 1.5 printed designs on Thingiverse
E3D V6 Hot end upgrade for your Felix
Tweezer bracket for your Felix
Led bar upgrade for your Felix

Hugues

Post by Hugues »

2nd print tonight, a little more unforgiving part, in video below, pretty cool to see it printing the honeycomb at high speed 8-)

printed at 0.2mm,
i stopped the first trial mid way to look at the honeycomb, i can see some filaments in some places, how should i solve these ? lower temperature ?
there is also a layer about 30% through the print that is different than the others, not sure why, maybe i bumped into the table...

I tried to print the same part at 0.1mm but i cannot for now, the first layer does not stick to the table, i tried to lower the z axis but not really improving. Should i increase the bed temperature ? or decrease speed ? I cleaned the bed with alcohol.

Also, the fan on the print head is turning, but not the one below, it's set at 0%, should i use this fan ? which percentage ?

thanks for your guidance,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6rSXiPc0nPw
Hugues
Regards from Switzerland

killejano

Post by killejano »

The fan can run only at 100%

Hugues

Post by Hugues »

3rd print, first functional print, started to print the filament spool holder,
i used normal quality with full support, picture below before removing the supports

question: these are pretty hard to remove, is there a trick here ? do you guys always use that much support ?
securedownload-30.jpeg
Hugues
Regards from Switzerland

Kjetilei

Post by Kjetilei »

Hugues: It seems like your support has fused together a bit due to the narrow gaps. I normally use a lot less support, making it much easier to remove. You should easily get away with half the support, and might even get away with much less. It really depends on the shapes of the model and how lucky or not you are with the angle on the support (I long for the day with smarter support function that analyses the model for smart distribution of the support).

Hugues

Post by Hugues »

Hugues wrote:2nd print tonight, a little more unforgiving part, in video below, pretty cool to see it printing the honeycomb at high speed 8-)

printed at 0.2mm,
printed the same part at 0.1 mm tonight, i'm quite impress with the finish really, wow, cool stuff
I already printed some other parts to repair some stuff around the house, and the filament spool holder,
cool !

on youtube, set to HD for best viewing
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGm0FPzvsKc&hd=1
Hugues
Regards from Switzerland

Hugues

Post by Hugues »

Kjetilei wrote:Hugues: It seems like your support has fused together a bit due to the narrow gaps. I normally use a lot less support, making it much easier to remove. You should easily get away with half the support, and might even get away with much less. It really depends on the shapes of the model and how lucky or not you are with the angle on the support (I long for the day with smarter support function that analyses the model for smart distribution of the support).
i tried playing with some settings tonight to increase the width between the support but i don't think i changed the correct one,
could someone point me to the parameter in the slicer to do this ? (sorry i'm a little lazy to look into the help file, but there are so many parameters...)
Hugues
Regards from Switzerland