Mounting the opto-sensors (Felix 2.0)

Help eachother out with assembly problems.
hoolito

Mounting the opto-sensors (Felix 2.0)

Post by hoolito »

Hi, all.

I am assembling the 2.0 version of Felix.
The PCB of the optosensors does not mate flat with the z-axis-carrier so I am not sure how tight the screws should be as tight bends the PCB, and loose is no good either. There is no cavity to hold the thru-hole terminals soldered underneath...
I could mill these cavities but according to the assembly manual, you should put double sided tape under the opto-sensors. If this is meant to be a spacer then a modification to the plastic parts should not be needed...
(But what else would the tape be for? Isolation? Does the tape really needs to stick?)

Unrelated: As I go, I am compiling some notes with odd things I found in the instructions, design and mounting sequence suggestions etc. that I'll share when the assembly is completed....

I hope some is kind to answer fast!
Thanks!
Julian
Last edited by hoolito on Tue May 07, 2013 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Felix 2.0

Hugues

Post by Hugues »

Hi Julian,

mine came already assembled, so maybe i can help. I can take a close-up picture of that part tonight if you show me exactly where you have an issue...

i think i saw something like white double-sided tape under one of my sensor,..but not completely sure..
Hugues
Regards from Switzerland

hoolito

Post by hoolito »

Thanks Hugues,

Attached are two photos of the PCB. You see it resting on the thru-hole terminals. I hope you see that the mating faces are not paralell.
I have two tapes* but none of them can fill that space. Much less when you start compressing them with the screws.
The other optosensor PCB on the vertical wall has the same problem.

* Carpet tape and Pattex "No more nails" tape. The last one is thickest, about 1.5mm
Attachments
optosensor side.jpg
optosensor opposite side.jpg
Felix 2.0

Hugues

Post by Hugues »

from what i see , one of mine is not fully parallel to the support. They have used 2 separate pieces of tape it seems.

Hope these pictures can help you,
securedownload-31.jpeg
securedownload-32.jpeg
securedownload-33.jpeg
securedownload-34.jpeg
Hugues
Regards from Switzerland

hoolito

Post by hoolito »

Thanks!
For what I see, pretty slanted. I guess you don't have problems?
I'll try to level them, just in case...
Cheers and thanks for the photos!
Felix 2.0

dognotdog

Post by dognotdog »

FWIW, I've used thin strips of the tape, doubled up, and put them across the board so that they don't interfere with the longer through-hole pins.

hoolito

Post by hoolito »

Probably these things will become clear when I finish the assembly and actually start using the printer. For the time being I am stalled waiting for a missing printed part to be re-sent... :cry:
But I'll share what I think: I guess the tape is a solution to fine-tune the position of the opto-sensor. By adjusting the tension on the screws you would align the sensor to the rib on the moving carriers.
Felix 2.0

t800

Post by t800 »

I'm just building mine for the DIY package. Doublesided tape is now included apparantly.
Attachments
opto.jpg

Kentxu

Post by Kentxu »

I was just doing the same this afternoon, and I trimmed the through hole pins flush with side cutters.

kimmoli

Post by kimmoli »

I suggest that after cutting those pins flush, resolder those. i.e. melt the solder with soldering iron.
(just to make your printer last longer without strange problems)