Print with felix 2.0 disconected usb after start

Discussions about firmware/slicing software, tweaks and settings
angryangel

Print with felix 2.0 disconected usb after start

Post by angryangel »

Hello

Have evryone tried the featur that abels to disconect the felix from the PC after starting th print??

Guillaume wrote that this is possible but i do not finde any dokumentation about how that works

do someone know?

satoer

Post by satoer »

The pc constantly feeds g-code to the printer, so you can't disconnect it. Or you need to use a sd card with the g-code on it.
My Felix 1.5 printed designs on Thingiverse
E3D V6 Hot end upgrade for your Felix
Tweezer bracket for your Felix
Led bar upgrade for your Felix

angryangel

Post by angryangel »

yes i know that i need a SD card or better a micro SDcard the felix 2.0 has i microsdcardreader allready installed

Yesterda i just searched searched sd card and repetier host and tried so settings and it really works

i can transfer the gcode from my pc to the felix2.0 installed sd card, start the print and close repetier host and it prints fine i just cant restart and conect repetier host, to check tempreture or so, because when i conect it stops the print

and it takes very much time to transfer the code from the pc to Felix sd card next step i will try to transfer the code direckt vrom pc to sd Card and then put the card into the printer and start the Print

in the settings of sfact i turnd the chamber option on to have the right teperature at hotend and bed

if someone knows more pleas post it

angryangel

Post by angryangel »

now i made some prints from sd card it works nearly perfect the only thing i missing is a possibility to reconect to the printer while it is printing to check check the temperture and the progress i hope the display upgrade is comming soon

its realy nice to se it print and use the pc as normal without to be afraid to disturb the printer

but you auf to take the SD card out of the printer und load dirkt on the pc because to copy it when its installed in the printer it works but its really slow very very slow

hoolito

Post by hoolito »

Hi all,

I am printing mostly from the SD card now... It's been OK but I guess it should be possible to do it little less caveman style. So that's why I am turning to y'all!
This is how I do it:

1. I generate the G-code and save it to the microSD card, which sits on the adapter in my computer's SD port
2. I insert the card in the slot of the Felix, I mount it via Repetier-Host and after some cleaning rituals on the printer, I select the file and press start.
3. Then I disconnect the USB cable from the laptop. But when I disconnect the USB cable I get the message "Some heaters are still on. Shall I disable them?", to which I reply no (but of course, no printer is connected)
4. Printing is not an issue (of course, other than you can't make adjustments on the fly or get status from the printer)
5. The issue is when printing is over and I want to reconnect, a combination of random actions are needed to regain control: (reset Felix, pull AC cord, click on power, disconnect, connect... etc. Not smooth...

Is there a correct "protocol" for untethered printing?

Thanks!
Last edited by hoolito on Mon May 27, 2013 7:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Felix 2.0

angryangel

Post by angryangel »

i also just print from sd card, but i not really disconekt the printer physically from the computer i just close the reptier host und also anser the question for for the heaters with no

but i not unplug the usb wire

ok not really nessasery to unplug i have a 5 or 10m extension usb-cord to my felix 2.0 and it works fine

you can also uplod the file to the SD card when it is in the printer but this takes very very much time. the only thing i mis is to be able check temperture or change speed

but when printig end i have not to reset printer or disconet ac cord i just start repetier host and pres the conect buton and i have full control of the printer again i just have to set home again

i orderd last week the LCD display i hope it arrive soon then i can completly disconect the printer from the computer

hoolito

Post by hoolito »

Hi angryangel, you wake up early :-)

Yeah.. I can't leave my laptop connected.
Do you first click "Disconnect" before closing the Repetier Host?

I didn't know that the LCD module was available already! Personally, I have some doubts about it but I'll post them in a different post!

Have a nice day!
Felix 2.0

angryangel

Post by angryangel »

i tried both versions no problem at both but i not diconect the USB-wire

but i think this is a windows problem because i think the USB port at the felix is a USB-to-Serialadapter so windows lose the "adapter at disconct and have to initializise it new on re-concet and perhaps windows have a problem at this point, wich windows do you use??

and i was allready at work when i writ my first post :-)

hoolito

Post by hoolito »

Hi angryangel,
Sorry I took so long. I have been working non-stop, without sleeping since your post... :ugeek: (sorry, bad joke)

Thanks.
Yeah... didn't realize it could be an OS-related issue. I am running Win7 64bit on a MacbookPro (via bootcamp). (I tried the OSX version but couldn't configure it run. I use mostly Siemens NX (CAD) on windows though, so using RH on win was actually better.)

I am looking to make the printer more stand-alone anyway... I think this is a better solution for the mid-term
I opened a different post with some thoughts on this (LCD module vs barebone linux on the Hacks forum)
Let's see if the discussion brings something in!

Kudos!
Felix 2.0

angryangel

Post by angryangel »

i think teh best is to creat the Gcode on a powerfull pc instead of a bare bone

and i dont know if a bearbone is not to much for just controling the printer

if the lcd display is engouh depends on what you can do with it i hope i will soon know it because i orderd one *G*

i think when you can choose the file wich you want print, you can heat bed and extruder, it is able to extrude manually filament, set home position and show the tempereutre, incres and decreas speed and flowrate while printing this would be enugh for stand alone printig
but i dont really know if the LCD display can all of this