print quality problem

This is for general discussions. Also FAQ can be found here.

Moderator: speedake95

angryangel

Re: print quality problem

Post by angryangel »

try to level the bed one more time

perhaps try to give some more room between the tip of the hotend und the bed

or turn the z-spindel down or while its printing to level it while printing

gobi

Post by gobi »

as long as i can tell the filament i bought with the printer works just fine.
and the stuff from formfutura, well i got a bad tip it seems and i started all my prints at 230 degrees C so - i dont know for sure but maybe that caused my problems.

the print i'm doing at the moment is a filament holder for laywood and it's perfectly good at 195 degrees -
gonna experiment with the temperatures and the formfutura filaments on the weekend (:

edit: question. what do you think, an overheated bed (?) (70 degrees C) could cause warping in an object?

t800

Post by t800 »

ouch , 230°C is more in the range for printing with ABS.

For printing with PLA :
I dont think a bed of 70°C should be a problem. Although the glass transition temperature of PLA is around that temperature the object your are printing is not under stress (carring any load) so it should still be fine sitting at 70°C.

For printing with ABS 70°C is even on the low side and may cause warping because of low temperature.

killejano

Post by killejano »

Ive had this same problem too. Not sure whats causing it but the bed height is right and temp does not seem to effect. Lower speed is better but not too low. Seems like the print stics to its self but not to the bed when doing the first layer. This causes waves and finally the print head pushes them down and crinkles the edges.

My theory is that this was caused in part by my slightly slanted nozzle as I managed to damage the PEEK part earlier. The other this might be that the outside of the nozzle got rounded by too much tweezer work. At least the same problem got really bad after I brushed it with wire brush as I had some burned abs on it due to an earlier thermistor failure.
I tried to file it back sharp again in a lathe, but the 2mm bore was so close to the edge it went through.

So I'll see what happens when I get (or make) a new hot end.

gobi

Post by gobi »

it's interesting what you say but this thing happened with a perfectly good and new head...
keep us posted on your findings though - i plan to reuse some older hot-ends i have that have some slight damage on its peek so all tips are welcome -

gobi

Post by gobi »

hey everyone, i'm back with yet another problem that presented itself not a week ago. out of a sudden every print i made came out wrong. i thought it must be the filament so i changed spools but the problem persists.
i know now that the stepper motor skips steps cause i hear this click-click-click sound and then after a while the filament stops coming out of the head. especially when i'm printing with infill and the head has to move up and down fast. so here's what i've done:

i tried cleaning that little metal part that guides the filament in the hotend. no result.
i took apart the extruder and found a hole so i thought the tension was to much so it damaged the plastic so i printed the new 2.0 extruder and replaced the 1.5 with it. problem persists.

- another print died - basically i replaced every moving part and still the click click click and filament stops extruding.

i'm printing at 200-205 degrees with 200 extruder speed with a 100% feedrate.

anyone has any idea?

gobi

Post by gobi »

here are some pictures, some "results" maybe it shows you guys something that i cant see:

Kjetilei

Post by Kjetilei »

It could be a clogged hot end. You can find examples/tips/possible solutions by searching in the forum.

Kentxu

Post by Kentxu »

@ gobi
I had the same problem with a clogged hot end about half way thru prints and the extruder motor would be clicking.
Solved it by changing the extruder cooling fan to 12V:

http://www.felixprinters.com/forum/view ... f=14&t=347

So it must have been hot plastic creeping back up the extruder and causing a clog.
Perhaps the fan should be set to 12V as standard.

gobi

Post by gobi »

thanks, good idea. however i cant seem to find the solder i'm supposed to remove, i took a picture of the board, guide me to it please cause i only have a slight idea where it should be -