Cleaning the hot-end

HLA

Cleaning the hot-end

Post by HLA »

Hey,

I have just tested an effective way of cleaning the hot-end without disassembling it. It can even be done while printing, i.e. pressing a pause and doing the following steps:

1) Get a piece of filament around 30cm long;
2) Remove the spring mechanism of the extruder arm;
3) Heat the hot-end to 210degC;
4) Insert the filament into the extruder and push it in with force until a small bit comes out of the hot-end*;
*In case nothing comes out, use a small drill bit (0,3mm) and gently push it into the hot-end. If you don’t have a drill bit, continue to the next step.
5) Quickly and forcefully pull the filament out. I mean really quickly – this will create sufficient vacuum inside the nozzle and will pull the contents of the heater barrel with the filament outside. See the picture of what comes out.
6) Cut the end of the filament off;
7) Repeat from step 4 with the remainder of the filament.
It is advisable to use up the entire piece of the filament and use another one if the nozzle remains clogged. Given that you pull out the entire molten plastic out of the nozzle, doing this procedure should clean it. This worked wonders for me and saved the nozzle. ...and don't forget to mount the spring mechanism back on ;)

Happy printing,
HLA
Attachments
Forcefully pulling out the filament out of the nozzle retrieves the contents of the heater barrel. You can see a small bit of metal on the edge which clogged the nozzle (don't ask me how it got there).
Forcefully pulling out the filament out of the nozzle retrieves the contents of the heater barrel. You can see a small bit of metal on the edge which clogged the nozzle (don't ask me how it got there).

gfeliksdal
Site Admin

Post by gfeliksdal »

Great tip on the cleaning of the hot-end! Better than the way I was cleaning it. I used to heat it up to 210 degC, extrude a little and let it cool down to approx 130degC (the pla is then semi solid/soft). Then very slowly retract/pull the contaminant out at 100mm/s which should stick onto the PLA.