FELIX 1.0: Official printer upgrades

In here you will find news posted officially by FELIXprinters.

Moderator: speedake95

gfeliksdal
Site Admin

FELIX 1.0: Official printer upgrades

Post by gfeliksdal »

In this topic the latest printer upgrades are released. A changelog of revisions is shown with its accompanying printed parts.

At the end of this message the instructions can be found to upgrade.

Felix 1.0 - Revisions:
==========================================================================================
Revision A, This was the first correctly working 3d printer
Revision B, This is the first sold Felix 1.0 printer
  • - added fan at the extruder to cool filament faster. This resulted in significantly better print quality.
Revision C.
  • - Changed aluminum support instead of printed part. The printed part seemed to creep over time, this resulted in often recalibration of the table.
    - a little higher print quality, the table is more solid.

Revision D.

Benefits of this update:
  • - Complete redesign of the x-axis. The belt is now a lot closer to the guide. The belt can now be tensioned stronger without having stick slip vibrations and it resulted in less printed parts
    - Backlash of x and y-axis is now reduced to 0.05 and 0.03mm respectively.
    - new z-axis coupling. This makes it easier to line out the z-spindle with the motor-axis.
    - The z-axis limit-switch vane is moved to the front. This gives easier access for correct calibration of the table height.
Full instruction manual
Instruction_Manual_of_Felix_1_0_Rev_D_v3.pdf
Instruction_Manual_of_Felix_1_0_Rev_D_v3.pdf
(7.56 MiB) Downloaded 383 times
Instruction manual to update from revision B/C to D
Instruction Manual - Upgrade to revision D.pdf
Instruction Manual - Upgrade to revision D.pdf
(2.05 MiB) Downloaded 229 times
Download the following to upgrade to revision D:
Printed parts:
print_parts_upgrade_from_rev_C_to_D.zip
print_parts_upgrade_from_rev_C_to_D.zip
(421.42 KiB) Downloaded 387 times
[/color]
To upgrade from revision B to D an additional aluminum part is optional.

Revision E

This update is a redesign of the y-axis belt mounts and tensioning mechanism. The belt clamps from the previous revision start to show some cracks over time. The new parts don't use clamps anymore, but make use of the shape of the belt to keep it in place/clamp it. The documentation is in the making, but I didn't want to withhold you from this one. The assembly is pretty straight forward, with the pictures provided in one of the last posts in this topic it should be a piece of cake to assemble. Thanks Kjetilei for the feedback!
Another upgrade is the z-axis coupling, this is now made of aluminum.

Benefits:
  • - approx. 5 mm of extra y-axis stroke
    - More reliable, tension is better preserved over time.
    - less screws, so shorter assembly time
    - Virtually impossible to have the belt slipping in new belt mounts.
    - No more problems with cracked clamps.
    - Belt tension is very easy to dose.
    - Tension forces are more in line with belt, so less sideways force on the tensioning mechanism.
The instruction manual:
Instruction_Manual_of_Felix_1_0_Rev_E_v1.pdf
Instruction_Manual_of_Felix_1_0_Rev_E_v1.pdf
(7.63 MiB) Downloaded 355 times
Upgrade from revision D:
Download -> extract -> print the following file:
print_assy_y_stage_v3.zip
Updated parts for the y-axis
(1.05 MiB) Downloaded 325 times
Revision F
This update is a redesign of the extruder. This is the same as the Felix 1.5 except adjusted for a different linear bearing. Next to that the x-axis belt mount is adjusted and enables a larger stroke. It is based on the design of Kjetilei's. The stroke in x-direction is now approx 255 mm.
To reduce the friction in Y-direction it is recommended to place two bearings on top of each-other instead of the guiding washers besides the single bearing. See this post for reference: http://www.felixprinters.com/forum/view ... =146#p1122
extruder_concept_parts_0_1mm_backlash.zip
(2.98 MiB) Downloaded 221 times
x-axis belt mount v6 F1_0_export.zip
(230.71 KiB) Downloaded 339 times

felix

Post by felix »

Apart from the fact that I see no files yet: Can I run the gcode files through the lash plugin to adjust for my specific printer?

gfeliksdal
Site Admin

Post by gfeliksdal »

Nope, the gcode files cannot be run through the lash plugin. That's why I provided the STL files and instructions how to do the upgrade.

Kjetilei

Post by Kjetilei »

It would be great if you could provide photos of the upgrades, making it easier to consider wether to upgrade or not :)

gfeliksdal
Site Admin

Post by gfeliksdal »

Thanks for the tip, I've added some pictures. The manual for revision D is available also.

gfeliksdal
Site Admin

Post by gfeliksdal »

Revision E is a fact! See description in the opening post.

The documentation is still in the making, but it should be easy enough to mount with the following pictures:

Overview
Detail of the tensioning mechanism
detail of the other side
When trying to remove the belt from the belt mount part, use a small allen-key or something with a diameter of 2.5mm to push the belt out.

From now on updates will contain only pre-sliced gcode files, instead of a complex manual how to slice the STL files in order to print your upgrades. Benefits:
- Just download and print, instead of following a long manual to print out the parts.
- Guaranteed correct slicing settings to print the part.
- Since the dimensions of the parts are not that critical, the backlash tuning shown which was required before is not necessary.

Looking forward to your results.

Kind regards,

Guillaume.

Kjetilei

Post by Kjetilei »

As you already know this upgrade is working great on my printer. I even managed to lower the backlash with this upgrade :)

It is fascinating to realize that only some small ridges in a self printed plastic part are the only thing that secures the highly tensioned belt to the hot bed. In a nerdy way this upgrade made the printer even cooler :) And we got more usable print area out of it too... But the ultimate goal is 25x25cm ;)

Thanks Guillaume.

jpm

Post by jpm »

When receiving my printer, it was delivered as rev D+ rev E modif without manual ... I must admit i didn't looked at rev D and used revE parts...straitforward... I don't know how was the previous version but this one is easy to setup, and to tension.

Kjetilei

Post by Kjetilei »

@jpm: Thanks for your input and welcome!

I much prefer the new E revision tensioners over the older versions and hope we get a similar solution for the x-axis tensioner :)

Tip: Users with earlier revisions of the tensioners can quickly "hot swap" to the newest version. It is easier than you might think. You only need to loosen up the belt bolt, hot bed nut (remember to hold on to the washers) and slider bolt and swap the plastic parts and reassemble the bolts and nuts. Remember to push the belt tightly into the tensioners and check that the belt is properly aligned and does not rub on the washers on the y-axis guides (the two bearings).

HLA

Post by HLA »

Thanks for the E-upgrade! Can't wait to print and install it.
However, I can only find the GCODE file. Is there an STL file available too?
Thanks,
HLA