FELIX 1.0: Official printer upgrades

In here you will find news posted officially by FELIXprinters.

Moderator: speedake95

Kjetilei

Re: Official printer upgrades

Post by Kjetilei »

@HLA: You don't actually need the STL file since the settings used in the GCODE file should be fine. Just load the GCODE and start printing.

HLA

Post by HLA »

Hey Kjtilei,

I would like to use my settings, so an STL file would be fantastic. Besides, I am experimenting with a new hot-end I made.

HLA

Kjetilei

Post by Kjetilei »

Point taken :)

Hopefully Guillaume will see this and post the STL.

Could you share more info on the hot end? It sounds interesting!
Is it a drop in replacement for the default hot end or have you designed new plastic parts as well?
Where you not comfortable with the default hot end or did the maker bug bite you :)

Even though Felix is a really nice "complete" kit it is always interesting to see what improvements/variations others can add to the table. Best of luck.

HLA

Post by HLA »

Hi,

I managed to print the GCODE without any issues :)

Unfortunately, the original hot-end got clogged a while ago, so I decided to make a new one. This is when I realized how good the original hot-end was, since it was not easy to make a new one. This is when I got bitten by the maker bug and got the idea to experiment with new hot-ends and make them exchangable :)

I agree, Felix printer is great - i am very happy with it. The printer always receives a lot of attention and compliments at regular RepRap meetings here in Vienna.

All the Best,
HLA

gfeliksdal
Site Admin

Post by gfeliksdal »

The manual of revision E is uploaded. It contains the latest mechanical updates, but also instructions of how to install the latest repetier-host version.

Kind regards,

Guillaume.

danielkschneider

Post by danielkschneider »

Thanx for the Repetierhost software update :) Works like a charm.

Just a comment to others:
* Make sure that the profiles directory in the setup (e.g. C:\Program Files\Repetier-Host\sfact_profiles\profiles) matches exactly where you put these profiles. I got it wrong the first time....
* Also, if you use the program files directory, you may have to change write permission, else you can't save modifications.
* Default normal "slice height" for SFACT/Skeinforge (carve section) now is set to 0.2mm.

- Daniel
PS: Didn't have much time to create anything of much interest to others here. Started writing down some tips for beginners (http://edutechwiki.unige.ch/en/Felix_3D_printer) Not very interesting so far.

Kjetilei

Post by Kjetilei »

Thanks for the link to your wiki :)

Lioric

Post by Lioric »

@danielkschneider

Instead of doing those before and after printing steps manually before each print, you might want to use the user script support of Repetier Host. It seems that any user script is saved with each printer profile, so they will be performed automatically on each print

Something like this,

for your "(1b) Check filament extrusion":

Code: Select all

;Start script
M104 S215 ; or whatever your extruder temp is
G28
M116
G21
G91
G1 Z -20 F300 ; <- CHECK THIS FIRST !!!!
M82
G1 E 120 F 150
G4 P 500
G1 E 200 F 200
G4 P 5000
That will set the extruder and bed in the home position (0,0,0), lower the bed 20 mm and wait until the extruder head is at 215 degrees. Then extrude 120mm at 150mm/s, wait 500ms and extrude 200mm at 200mm/s and wait for 5000ms before starting the actual printing job

for your "(3) After printing":

Code: Select all

; Remove the filament script
G28
M82
G1 E -1000 F 300; <- WHAT IS THE LENGTH NEEDED ?
This will remove the filament with reverse extrusion

NOTE: Use this only if you know g-code and know what each op code does. I have not received my printer yet, so currently I don't have where to test this, nor I have experience with any other 3d printer for the time being.

While the firmware in the Felix seems to be standard, I don't know if it really is

felix

Post by felix »

Darn, I should have checked the forum earlier!
I finally installed the metal replacement for the table support which I got like half a year ago. If I had checked here earlier I could have replaced the tensioning mechanism as well, that part has annoyed me since the beginning!

Kjetilei

Post by Kjetilei »

Felix: No worries. It is easy to replace without major disassembling. Only a couple of bolts that has to be loosened before the parts can be replaced. You should print them and try it :)