First Layer Issue

This is for general discussions. Also FAQ can be found here.

Moderator: speedake95

maker

First Layer Issue

Post by maker »

Hey Folks,

my felix 2.0 prints everything perfect but not the first, initial layers.
Do you know whats happening there?
- HotEnd temp: 195-205*C
- heated bed temp: 60-65*C
- relative slow printing speed
- layer hight 0.2 - 0.25mm

Makron

Post by Makron »

Can be the extruder motor skipping steps , can you hear a clicking sound when printing ?
maybe the fan on the board is nog on so it gets to hot and then skippes steps.

The fan on my printer is sometimes not turned on , i have to give it a little push before its starts turning.

maker

Post by maker »

Thank you for your reply. I looked at the fan and it works just fine all the time. hmm :(

Makron

Post by Makron »

More tension on the extruder then maybe. Or is it that the layer doesnt stick on the bed?

superhornet59

Post by superhornet59 »

It looks like the nozzle is either tearing up existing layers, or parts of it aren't sticking right. Happens to me too. Try re-calibrating the bed, I find that reducing clearance (so the first layer gets 'smushed' more) helps. Going hot and slow on the first layer helps too, and your settings are similar to mine, but I haven't found a magic bullet as of yet. I've tried fan on and fan off. Honestly sometimes this will happen, I'll cancel the print, tear off the bad first layer, reprint exactly as before, and it runs fine. Sometimes it comes down to plain old luck :P

gobi

Post by gobi »

oh yeah this is familiar to me too. the way it worked for me was to bring the hotend closer to the bed and lower the feedrate down to 60-70%. i always print the first 2-3 layers slower and with a little more high temperature - this worked for me

good luck

maker

Post by maker »

Great! thanks! :)