Felix 3.0 shifting prints and extruder problem

MM617

Felix 3.0 shifting prints and extruder problem

Post by MM617 »

Hey guys!

I have my Felix 3.0 dual extruder (upgraded to 3.1) for 2 years now, always printed perfectly never had any problems but now I'm facing a few, to start with the most important one:

Because of health issues I didn't use the printer since July, so this week I decided to give it a good cleaning and maintenance routine before using it again, after that I fired it up and started a print, I noticed that the prints shift on the Y-axis first layer would be pretty good, second layer shifted about 4-5mm sideways. My first thought was that I might have tensioned the belts too much, so I loosened them up and tried again but the problem still persists.

Once again I did a check, everything is running smooth and no heavy points in any of the movements, with the 3rd try it happened again and the stepper motor seems to completely stop at some points, it really looks like it can't handle the force but it's really not different than before.. it's even lighter now because of the cleaning... does anyone have an idea what this could be? a broken stepper motor or maybe something on the mainboard?

The second issue; this one isn't that urgent for me but I'm wondering, since I'm starting up again and never used the dual head I wanted to try to get into the dual head printing to expand my capabilities and skills, I noticed that in the Felix Builder software the 2nd extruder is not detected, when I check it in Repetier host everything looks fine, but when I click the 2nd extruder it starts heating up the bed instead. (heatbed functions normally during single head prints) could this be a connecting failure or is it something in the firmware or so?

Thanks in advance!
-Mitch.

gfeliksdal
Site Admin

Post by gfeliksdal »

Hi Mitch,

To me your first issue could be caused by a pulley which is not properly fixed on the motor shaft. Or one of the teeth of the belt is defect.

The 2nd issue, did you install the latest version of felixbuilder? Please see the download section. And also did you select dual extruder? If yes it should always be shown and working. If it also does not work in Repetier-Host, it is most likely that you installed single head firmware instead of dual head.

MM617

Post by MM617 »

gfeliksdal wrote:Hi Mitch,

To me your first issue could be caused by a pulley which is not properly fixed on the motor shaft. Or one of the teeth of the belt is defect.

The 2nd issue, did you install the latest version of felixbuilder? Please see the download section. And also did you select dual extruder? If yes it should always be shown and working. If it also does not work in Repetier-Host, it is most likely that you installed single head firmware instead of dual head.
Thanks for the quick response!

I'll check the belt and pulley to see if there might be something wrong ;) the pulley was moving though it just looked like the motor slowed down somehow.

I do have the latest version of felixbuilder, also the latest repetier host, I'll have a look which firmware is installed to make sure if I got the right one on there :mrgreen:

I'll get back soon on both of them :)

MM617

Post by MM617 »

Both problems are solved! Thank you for pointing me in the right direction!

I took the belt off and checked it and nothing seemed to be wrong, then my eye fell on the pulley, the bolt was feeling tightened but I noticed it was on the very edge where the shaft changes from flat to round, so with some force it would flip over the edge I should be embarrassed for this mistake :mrgreen:

I couldn't find which firmware was installed, so I got the latest dual extruder firmware from the website and installed it with the included tool (very nice tool btw! I was always scared to do this after I completely ruined my first reprap after some firmware update) and it shows both extruders now also via de software I can control them properly :D

Just one question remaining, when the 2nd extruder was heating up there was a good puff of white smoke coming somewhere from the hot end cartridge, I can't recall if the first extruder did the same but to make sure I turned it off cause it was more smoke than you would expect from a new/unused extruder ;)

gfeliksdal
Site Admin

Post by gfeliksdal »

Good to hear the issues are solved :)...

The extra puff of smoke. Not sure how much you are talking about. But this is usually there with a brand new hot-end. Please try to extrude at least 100mm of filament, the smoke should normally be gone by then. If you installed the thermistor and heater body yourselve. Please make sure they are properly fixed. Otherwise you could get either a false temperature reading or overheating heater cartridge.

MM617

Post by MM617 »

Will try to heat it up tomorrow and extrude some filament through it to see how it turns out :) they were assembled hot ends so I assume everything is alright :)

I noticed one more thing today, from the side the hot ends don't line up, I think the first hot end might be somehow bend if that's possible? Here's still a picture from he sure view ;)
Attachments
IMG_0189.JPG

gfeliksdal
Site Admin

Post by gfeliksdal »

It is most likely that the hot-ends don't physically line up due to the production tolerances. The calibration routine should cover this. You can check if the hot-end parts are ok, by checking if the parts of the hot-ends are not bent(the peek isolator)

MM617

Post by MM617 »

Cool I wasn't sure if the calbiration was only for X or both X/Y, I took both hot ends out and they look fine nothing looks bend or deformed so I guess my eye never caught this before because I didn't look into dual head printing either :P

The 2nd hot end works fine, I think the smoke came from the heat resistant cover around the wire which was touching the hot end, cause with the second heatup there was a minimum of smoke.

Yesterday I printed a new filament guide and it really prints like a brand new printer now so thanks once again for the good advice :mrgreen:

gfeliksdal
Site Admin

Post by gfeliksdal »

Ok good to hear that :), have fun printing :)