extruder temperature too low (F 3.0 dual head)

Discussions about the electronics
vyndalin

extruder temperature too low (F 3.0 dual head)

Post by vyndalin »

Hi there,
I've got problem to reach 210°C on second extruder to print PVA supports. It's not problem when I print with one extruder only. I can set higher temperature and printer starts printing. But when I want to print PVA supports, it's a big problem. Temperature goes to the 207°C and then it stays on that temperature. Is there some way how to pass this problem? I can't see any temperature "range" in Repetier host. Thanks in advance for your replies.

gfeliksdal
Site Admin

Post by gfeliksdal »

Hi vyndalin,

This could be a static electricity issue. When you touch the wire cable loop on top of the extruder. Does it then reach the setpoint temperature? Best fix is to use thicker wires for the thermistor.

Next to this please update to the latest firmware. Possibly that could help as well.

vyndalin

Post by vyndalin »

In this case it's all about my idiocy. I mounted fan lower, so it blow on hot ends. Right position of the fan solved problem. Thak you for your reply...

Dreide

Post by Dreide »

vyndalin wrote:Hi there,
I've got problem to reach 210°C on second extruder to print PVA supports. It's not problem when I print with one extruder only. I can set higher temperature and printer starts printing. But when I want to print PVA supports, it's a big problem. Temperature goes to the 207°C and then it stays on that temperature. Is there some way how to pass this problem? I can't see any temperature "range" in Repetier host. Thanks in advance for your replies.
First of all, be careful with too high temperatures and PVA! If something is off with your temp control, the hotend temperature might be higher than indicated and you might end up with a hotend irreversibly clogged with PVA that got too hot - rather try fixing the problem while having a more forgiving filament in the extruder.
Regarding the heating problem, have you ever used this extruder before and it worked? Anyway, have a look at the temperature plot in Repetier-Host. Is the output power at 100%? Does the temperature curve look reasonably smooth or rather erratic? Maybe either the heater cartridge or the thermistor (or both) just have bad thermal contact with the hotend, in which case you should carefully tighten the respective screws. Also check that the heater and thermistor wires are well connected to the electronics board (possibly the screws there need to be tightened). Last but not least, the thermistor wires might have been extended, with the connection point for the extension rather close to the hotend. If you have such a thermistor and gently press and/or wiggle the wires there, do you see the temperature readings jumping up and down?
The last thing I would try is using thicker wires for the thermistor - eh, actually, I wouldn't even bother trying.
Felix 2.0->3.0dual * Repetier (host+firmware) * KISSlicer Pro, Simplify3D * Cubify Design

gfeliksdal
Site Admin

Post by gfeliksdal »

With thicker wires, I could have been more specific. I meant to use the latest version thermistor (we have this since 2015), which has a thicker wire core and also bigger insulation. This solved basically 99% of the thermistor issues our customers experienced with their 3.0. Especially with the DEF/DEC related issues. We also had several cases, with setpoint reaching issues. You can see this when you touch the cable loop on top of the extruder. This would influence the measurement that it as soon as you touch the cable loop, the setpoint would be reached within a few seconds.

So in short, most likely it is a thermistor issue (either wire or the thermistor element itself) and in some rare cases something with the control board.

vyndalin

Post by vyndalin »

Thank you very much guys, but as I wrote in third reply - that was my fault, not an technical issue. I just badly mounted the front fan. I realizet that within a closer look at the extruders. And Murphy's laws works - I can see that right after I bought spare parts. Thank you once again.