New kid on the block

This is for general discussions. Also FAQ can be found here.

Moderator: speedake95

frits

New kid on the block

Post by frits »

Hello everyone, I'm Frits, I'm working at FabLab Brainport, we have a 1.5 felix printer and I just got around setting up the printer and printing some objects. I have experience with the Ultimaker but the Felix printer is new for me.

I wondered if there might be somebody in the region; Eindhoven (Noord-Brabant) that would like to visit the FabLab someday. It would be great if I could get some tips from a Felixprinter expert! :D

For everyone else that is not in the neighborhood, I liked to share some photo's of my first prints.

The first problem that I ran into was the fact that the extruder started printing too high on the bed, although when I home the machine, the nozzle touches the bed... I have to manually adjust the Z axis every time it starts printing.

I tried slicing the objects with sli3er, I also tweaked with the settings a bit while printing, it seems that the extruder is nog providing enough plastic, the walls of the objects do not touch each other. When filling big surfaces the printer cannot seem to keep up. When I set the extrusion rate and temperature higher the layers start to deform.
Attachments
IMG_3702.JPG
IMG_3701.JPG

Hugues

Post by Hugues »

i had similar print problems the first time I tried Sli3er, so i reverted back to SFACT (Skeinforge).

i'm surely not saying the problem is with Sli3er, but maybe its default settings were not ok for me.
Have you tried with SFACT ? It came already installed with Repetier Host, the config files you can find in the download section of Felix web site,
Hugues
Regards from Switzerland

killejano

Post by killejano »

Might be one of three things:

-Extruder stepper driver gives too litle power and the motor skips steps. Turn the trip pot slightly clockwise.
-Extruder tension too low. Tighten the screw pulling the extruder arm
-Partially clogged hot end. Clear it with a 0.35 dril or guitar sting. Be shure to heat it first and don't use too much force.

frits

Post by frits »

Hi, thanks for the replies, eventually the extruder got clogged. I cleared it with a small piece of wire and hand feeding the filament. The extruder now seems to have a much larger extrusion width, the printer problems could have been caused by this. I'm going to try a new print with the cleared nozzle. I already tried SFACT and it seemed to go a lot better then Slic3er. I will keep you updated.

hoolito

Post by hoolito »

As for the nozzle not touching the bed, I think you need to check your bed for flatness and level it (or actually, set it parallel to the working plane of the nozzle).
This must be done very precisely, I'd say that the distance bed-nozzle must be 0.1mm within a tolerance of +-0.05mm if you really want to have no problems... (but I am still not getting results with high quality SFACT profiles, so maybe there's something else.
so it's kind of tricky...
Felix 2.0

frits

Post by frits »

Jippy, after the clogging and cleaning I managed to get a few decent parts (see pictures). Unfortunately after 4 or 5 prints the printer was having extruder problems again. I tried changing every parameter I could think of that would affect the extrusion but nothing seemed to help. As a last resort I switched between filaments from a different manufacturing, and crazy things happened, as of today the extruder hasn't clogged up. Could it be the fault of crappy material?

In the pictures you can also see the spool holder design I found on this forum. The yellow / purple prints were done with the different material.

I think I see some Z-axis wobble in my prints is that correct?
Attachments
IMG_3749.JPG
IMG_3746.JPG
IMG_3744.jpg