50 mircrons, really?

This is for general discussions. Also FAQ can be found here.

Moderator: speedake95

RobGer

50 mircrons, really?

Post by RobGer »

Is 50 mircrons really achievable on Felix 2 or is this really pushing the limits of this printer?
I guess I'll find out soon enough when my printer arrives but while I'm waiting, can someone please post a part printed with 50 micron layer resolution.

Thanks.

superhornet59

Post by superhornet59 »

It's very achievable! I have a 2.0 and mechanically the printer is very solid and easily does my occasional 50 micron prints. However, that doesn't mean Joe Shmoe can hook it up, press print, and expect something useful at 50 microns. Heck, printing at 250 microns can be challenging if you don't know what you're doing. If your bed is properly calibrated, and your temperature/speed/filament settings are correctly set up, you should have no problem making excellent prints.

Now, just so you know, a 50 micron layer height doesn't mean you can print a 50 micron (cubed) feature, or print an object to 50 micron xy tolerances (it will shrink somewhat as it cools), but that's a whole different discussion :)

Happy printing!

RobGer

Post by RobGer »

Good to hear 50 microns is achievable on this printer.
I guess the real trick is being able to look at a poorly printed part and understand what parameters cause what problems and how to fix it.This has been a challenge for me so far and is also part of the fun.