LCD and SD

This is the place to show off your felix printer hacks and improvements.
dognotdog

Re: LCD and SD

Post by dognotdog »

So for the SD card reader from http://www.komputer.de/zen/index.php?ma ... cts_id=122 :

I did one test print so far, worked as expected. I'll have to take apart the wiring and solder in the I2C header one of these days, so i can attach the LCD, too.

Kjetilei

Post by Kjetilei »

dognotdog: thanks for confirming that it works!

What LCD are you planning to attach through the I2C port? Is that compatible with Marlin?

dognotdog

Post by dognotdog »

So, I haven't had any luck with the LCD today. I rewired the electronics, mostly because I had to take out the RAMPS board to solder all the AUX headers in. I took the chance to connect the LCD, as well as hookup the 5V standby line of the ATX power supply to the Arduino's 5V rail, so that it's not dependant on USB power anymore.

Anyway, back to the LCD: http://www.sainsmart.com/module/lcd-mod ... ga-r3.html

I hooked it up, threw in the LiquidCrystal library from that page, but I don't see any output so far. Not sure where it's going wrong, or how to debug this effectively. I might try uploading one of the example sketches later, to see if those work, and it's just Marlin that's being a pain.

Kjetilei

Post by Kjetilei »

ViKi LCD from Panucatt Devices launched on Kickstarter.

Check it out.

I have been waiting for this a long time (but I got "desperate" and self sourced different parts instead about a mont ago - still waiting for the last parts...). It looks super sleek and should be worth the extra dollars compared to the Reprapdiscount solution.

$75 + $14 Int. shipping.

See a video of it in action.

Lioric

Post by Lioric »

I don't get it, why the "reprap" community insist on making those extremely limited SD/LCD 4 line display modules, we are not in the 90's anymore

The navigation is a PITA and they are very limited on what can do (no slicing, nor printing settings modification, no wireless or wan). You need a sd card reader, why not just a usb port to simply plug your memory stick instead?

Kjetilei

Post by Kjetilei »

Loric: Yes, it is a pity that we are limited to 20x4 LCDs...

What I would like is a Wi/Fi (or Bluetooth) enabled controller with graphical TFT LCD and an ARM-based CPU do be able to do more advanced stuff. A USB port in addition to SD card reader wouldn't hurt either.

I have found a nice implementation of a graphical TFT LCD on Arduino: http://andybrown.me.uk/wk/2012/08/19/nokia-n82-arduino/

satoer

Post by satoer »

I can think of several reasons why we are limited to these cheap 4 line LCD’s. First of all, there cheap. The whole fun of the reprap is that it’s affordable for just a hobby project –user.

The whole Arduino project is open source, so it’s most practical to use a Arduino base for the open source Reprap project.

The Arduino is limited in his resources. It has just 8 kb of ram and 248 kb of usable program memory.

The absolute first priority is to drive the 5 stepper motors and translate the given code to motion. Drive a graphical user interface is really hard work. Besides that it has to I/O images from external memory (remember the 248kb program memory? That’s for all the program code too, so there’s not a lot for byte-hungry graphical images). So, you also need some kind of external memory storage like an extra SD card. Long story- short, I think the Arduino is too limited to drive an external high graphic display. And the Arduino is just 16 MHz… to put that in perspective: a modern phone has a graphical co-processor and a quad core main CPU of 1 GHz.

The 4 line displays are also easy to program, and the Arduino compiler has built in libraries to communicate with these display’s.
Last edited by satoer on Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
My Felix 1.5 printed designs on Thingiverse
E3D V6 Hot end upgrade for your Felix
Tweezer bracket for your Felix
Led bar upgrade for your Felix

Lioric

Post by Lioric »

Kjetilei wrote:Loric: Yes, it is a pity that we are limited to 20x4 LCDs...

What I would like is a Wi/Fi (or Bluetooth) enabled controller with graphical TFT LCD and an ARM-based CPU do be able to do more advanced stuff. A USB port in addition to SD card reader wouldn't hurt either.

I have found a nice implementation of a graphical TFT LCD on Arduino: http://andybrown.me.uk/wk/2012/08/19/nokia-n82-arduino/
Then, maybe, you are in for a big surprise ;)
satoer wrote:I can think of several reasons why we are limited to these cheap 4 line LCD’s. First of all, there cheap. The whole fun of the reprap is that it’s affordable for just a hobby project –user.
Are you sure that is true? I mean, except a few printers that surfaced recently, the whole "cheap DIY printer" has always been in the 1k to 2k cost, so I don't see the connection between cheap and 3d printer.

I think that we need less "cheap" and more "quality", not in the literal sense of the word but in the "focus" sense (aim at creating better plastics, better accuracy, better repeatability) . Currently 3d printing means calibrating almost every time, and doing several drafts first, to see if the printed part warps or lifts, and if the slicer has done a decent job creating the g-code or it will put inconsistent amounts of plastic resulting in the hot end extruder touching the printed layers. Add to that navigating an interface from the 90's with a rotary encoder

Anyway, a 100 bucks 4 line monochrome lcd display is not what I would call "cheap"

About the arduino mega, I am well aware of its specs (the 1280 used by the Felix has only 128KB, probably you were referring to the mega2560), and that is why I think that adding the SD part to the firmware is a waste of resources (I have removed from the firmware on my printer)

There are OLed displays that costs half of what that 4 lines lcd kit sell for, that use an embedded graphic controller (think of propeller or 4D picaso) to drive graphics, sending this "@I\00\00\60\40\10\00\00\32" is all that is needed display a full screen 256k color image, so no real difference to driving a 4 line monochrome lcd (and that sequence of bytes is probably the longest command, making animations is even easier)

And another question, who uses sd cards? From most people that I know, probably all of them have usb sticks, but no sd cards unless you like cameras
I can think of several reasons why we are limited to these cheap 4 line LCD’s
And believe me, I don't think that we need to be "limited" to that, not by any stretch

Now where I could get a decent camera ;)

satoer

Post by satoer »

There are OLed displays that costs half of what that 4 lines lcd kit sell for, that use an embedded graphic controller (think of propeller or 4D picaso) to drive graphics, sending this "@I\00\00\60\40\10\00\00\32" is all that is needed display a full screen 256k color image, so no real difference to driving a 4 line monochrome lcd (and that sequence of bytes is probably the longest command, making animations is even easier)
Yes, it’s possible… but in the time that it reads the image from memory and send the image to the display it also needs to keep count of the stepper motor steps taken and translate the Gcode into motor movements. Chances are big you get some stuttering in the stepper control resulting in ugly lines.
Anyway, a 100 bucks 4 line monochrome lcd display is not what I would call "cheap"
Here's the display:
http://www.ebay.nl/itm/LCD2004-5V-Blue- ... 460a58e990
two for 18 buck including shipping. thats $9 a piece
My Felix 1.5 printed designs on Thingiverse
E3D V6 Hot end upgrade for your Felix
Tweezer bracket for your Felix
Led bar upgrade for your Felix

Kjetilei

Post by Kjetilei »

I believe it is quite possible to develop a solution using an ARM Cortex based CPU (e.g. STM32) and a colour TFT LCD (e.g. Nokia N82/N95) that would not cost much more than an Atmel/20x4 LCD based solution. Some work is being done on ARM based controllers but there is too little focus on it to become a mainstream solution at the moment, which is a pity.

For the time being I think it's better to leave the slicing to a computer since this is a resource hog. Hopefully we will get more intelligent slicing with possibilities to specify different fill in different areas of the model (or maybe varying fill/support structures based on automatic computer analysis).

Note: The N82/N95 displays can be bought for around $5-6.

N95 attached to Arduino.

If one first planned to make an improved controller it would probably be smart to switch to better stepper drivers too.