LCD and SD

This is the place to show off your felix printer hacks and improvements.
Lioric

Re: LCD and SD

Post by Lioric »

satoer wrote:Yes, it’s possible… but in the time that it reads the image from memory and send the image to the display it also needs to keep count of the stepper motor steps
Please read what I just wrote above, in OLed displays WITH embedded graphic MC driver, there is no "read image from memory and send it", the byte string that I posted above send over UART is ALL what is needed, from the arduino side, to display a full screen image. If you want more details search for picaso 4GL commands via serial line

Kjetilei

Post by Kjetilei »

Loric: when you're refering to Oled, do you mean one of the small 0.96" or 1.3" monochrome displays? They look nice, but might be a little bit too small for viewing from some distance. The colour versions I found are quit much more expensive. A TFT LCD with a driver would also be nice :)

Are you thinking about touchscreen for controlling/input?

It could also be possible to control with a recent smartphone through a Bluetooth Low Energy connection or Wi-fi.

Another low-tech solution could be to use a Wii Nunchuck controller.

I recently bought a PSP 1000 analog joystick replacement and a PS2/Xbox 360 analog joystick replacement that I thought maybe could be handy to experiment with (but that most likely is too old-skool compared to what you're thinking about :) )

If I understand you correct I hope you have a nice surprise for us soon ;)

PS: have you seen the new TI driver from Polulu?

Lioric

Post by Lioric »

The 0.96'' an the other are not monochrome, they are full color oled displays (similar to what is in your phone), but I was thinking more in the 3.2'' display. It is around 67 to 70 bucks and has everything including touchscreen and a sd slot
Are you thinking about touchscreen for controlling/input?
Yes, touchscreen and capacitive sensing is what I would like for this

Anyway, I was just pointing to some alternatives that can be used for less than a "4 lines monochrome character lcd". I like the interfaces to be super fluid and smooth, so even that oled displays are a little slow for my taste (talking specifically about a control interface for a printer. Im using the 0.96'' stamp sized display for showing the current gear in my sports car)
PS: have you seen the new TI driver from Polulu?
Yes, I saw the link you posted, it seems a great update. Less heat, more power handling capabilities and a pin to pin compatible, definitely a good improvement (might need a few modification in the firmware), but should increase stability on multi hour printings, as they run cooler

satoer

Post by satoer »

Lioric wrote:
satoer wrote:Yes, it’s possible… but in the time that it reads the image from memory and send the image to the display it also needs to keep count of the stepper motor steps
Please read what I just wrote above, in OLed displays WITH embedded graphic MC driver, there is no "read image from memory and send it", the byte string that I posted above send over UART is ALL what is needed, from the arduino side, to display a full screen image. If you want more details search for picaso 4GL commands via serial line
Oh, I didn’t know the display’s had their own graphic processing unit. Nice Display’s. But it still makes sense to me to use the cheap widely available 4 line hitachi display’s instead of this single supplier of 4dgl compatible display’s. If the company decides to stop producing these display’s all the programming into this support is wasted.

Nice finding tough. I’ve done some Arduino Oled programming myself and it was quite a memory and resources struggle to get my project run smoothly. Eventually I needed to use two Atmega microcontrollers combined to get my project done.

I haven’t studied the display’s touch interface, but is it possible to send the display-cpu touch regions and have the display-cpu send back codes if a touch region is touched? Or has to Arduino to calculate the position of the finger?

Are you aware of more types of cpu combines Arduino compatible display’s?
My Felix 1.5 printed designs on Thingiverse
E3D V6 Hot end upgrade for your Felix
Tweezer bracket for your Felix
Led bar upgrade for your Felix

Kjetilei

Post by Kjetilei »

From a price point I think it would be good to settle for a good TFT LCD screen.

Andy has worked on a STM32 touch based solution that might be worth a look (although maybe not smooth enough for everybody's liking). He also seems to be tinkering on something at the moment.

I found a lot of cheap TFT LCDs on Ebay that looked ok and the quest also got me into looking at development boards with TFT LCDs (search for "board tft").

One board that caught my eye was NXP LPC1768-Mini-DK board for $40.

Alternative non-ebay link.

More (of the same) info and then even more.

A discussion about the board.

A discussion that mentions 3D printing.

Video review of a bigger version $60.

dognotdog

Post by dognotdog »

The DRV8825 isn't all that great, apart from the slightly greater current capability.

Also, Arduino Due does have enough processing power for better displays, but seriously, they're overkill. I don't need fancy images. Anything that needs a touchscreen is mostly a pain with a touchscreen. What I can do with a twist and a click, the text based LCD and a click encoder is just fine for. For the rest, attach the PC. The big advantage of the SD+LCD combo is that you don't need the PC attached to the printer, and no more USB bottlenecks. For me, no more stalls when printing from the SD card.

On another note, I am having trouble getting gcode files executed from the SD card, when trying to select it via the control panel, works fine from repetier on the computer, though. Any thoughts?

Lioric

Post by Lioric »

dognotdog wrote:I don't need fancy images. Anything that needs a touchscreen is mostly a pain with a touchscreen. What I can do with a twist and a click, the text based LCD and a click encoder is just fine for.
Exactly!, there is not much that you can do with the simple rotary encoder and your 4 liner char display. So for the couple of things that you can do with your existing 4 liner lcd, you don't need more control, but that doesn't mean there is not a lot of things that ARE NEEDED, besides browsing a file system with a rotary encoder

Probably your needs are very basic, or you can't see the forest for the trees, but for a machine that is supposed to be one of the most disruptive innovations of this century, a 4 liner char display is not going to cut it

hvdd

Post by hvdd »

i just choiced the felix because it has usb connection on line, and
those 4 x 20 displays are very slow - ( i have abt 20 in stock at my factory from 'old' designs)

i will do some tests with a touchpanel pc 10' with SSD disk - expensive ... yes (500 €) but then the 'big' pc is free.
rgds

Kjetilei

Post by Kjetilei »

dognotdog: The Arduino Due could be one of the possible hosts.

Although I partially do agree that we don't need fancy images it can make a difference in increasing the usability of a system. Remember that a lot of people are more visual than text oriented (I'm one of them and have always preferred a GUI over a CLI although I perfectly well know that a CLI in many cases is a lot faster/more flexible than a GUI). Good graphics instructions/feedback could also ease the learning process and could/would be a differentiator market wise. Have you seen the animated welcome logo on the Form 1 - completely unnecessary but yummy ;).

I'm a split personality when it comes to touch interface vs twisting knobs. Touch based systems gives the solution flexibility and possibilities that a twisting knob or buttons simply can't compete with. But I love the tactility of physical knobs and the feeling of direct control of the system that a touch based system sometimes lacks (in many ways it is an interaction/implementation issue).

I do believe that 32-bit processors are the way forward. To my knowledge the existing hardware impose limitations that directly affect quality. Have any of todays controllers/firmware added support for arches? I don't believe so. And what about adding cheap accelerometers to the different axis/hotbed to check/compensate for skipped steps and excessive vibration and overshoot. The possibilities are much greater with more CPU-power available.

One big advantage with the DRV8825s is the much improved handling of heat. I don't know how many times I have read about heat related problems with the Polulu steppers on various forums. The usable area between skipping due to too little power applied and driver shut down due to overheating is way too narrow for my comfort.

I truly believe it is possible to implement a solution with a much better processor, a graphical touch based TFT LCD and physical knobs/input at a marginally increased cost.

A bare Arduino Mega costs $17 and the LCD/SD modules for RAMPS typically sell for $60 (including shipping). Compare that to the way more powerful and advanced $40 NXP LPC1768-Mini-DK and you see that a RAMPs replacement could be $37 more expensive before the NXP solution became more expensive than an inferior Arduino/Ramps solution. Designing an integrated 32-bit based solution from the ground up might be more expensive than an Arduino/Atmel based solution though due to lower (initial?) volume...

dognotdog

Post by dognotdog »

As far as I am concerned, I want to be able to stop/start printjobs without having to attach the PC. Since slicing is infeasible on the "embedded" controllers, even STM32, you still need the PC anyway. Everybody seems to be OK with their one or two knobs on their washing machine, too, and personally, I never thought to myself "gee, this washing machine sure could use a touch display". The display itself doesn't change UI complexity for better or worse. It only makes sense when you have a complex UI that's just too cumbersome for a small text display. I don't see the complexity on the printer interface, it's really quite managable.