Felix Tec 4 does not print at all :-(

3Diy

Felix Tec 4 does not print at all :-(

Post by 3Diy »

Hi everyone,

I´ve upgrade my felix 3.1 to tec 4.
After I accidently destroyed the new hotend I bought a completly new one.
However since the new Hotend the printer is not working at all. I can print the very first layers and then he stops extruding.
When I extrude the filament and cut it off it will work for another 1-2 Layers.

I did try the following:
0. I´m printing with pla and using the simplify slicer profile provided by felix. before this exact configuration was working perfectly!
1. cleaned the extruder and disassembled it like ~100 times
2. used a bigger nozzle (0.5mm)
3. replaced the drive gear with one that has a lot more traction. (the traction is now so strong the filament gets pulled out of my closed fist)
3. tried different temperatures
4. tried different profiles and qualities
5. replaced the cooling fan with a new one (now nearly every part of the hotend is replaced)
6. upgraded the firmware to 1.08

I´ve noticed that the noozle gets clogged after retraction.
I also would like to know the following: As you can see in the attached picture I´m not sure if the nozzle should be in tight contact to the heat break or if some air should be in between (this is the case when the heatbreak is just completly covered by the barrel).
heatbreak.png
heatbreak.png (6.81 KiB) Viewed 1539 times
I cannot print since a couple of month and im getting frustrated. Any help is highly appreciated!

gfeliksdal
Site Admin

Post by gfeliksdal »

Hi 3Diy,

Sorry to hear you experience these issues. The picture you showed, the situation should be like the left picture.

Also are you using official tec4 slicing profiles? Using felix 3 profiles is risky. Especially if there are several retrations in the same layer. Retration settings are indeed different than the 3 for proper operation. For the 3.1 it should be around 1.5mm, for the tec 4, maximum 1mm. And for some materials like PETG it should be 0.75mm.

Also make sure the fan in front is connected to 12V and properly spinning.

Kind regards,

Guillaume

3Diy

Post by 3Diy »

Hi,

thanks for the reply!
I´m using the orig. Felix-tec profiles.

I´ve managed to print a sucessfull model with petg! :-)
However I dont know why I am not able to print with PLA (especially because I have tried the gcode that once printed really good results and I´m using the same filament).
Maybe the filament got bad ? :-)

gfeliksdal
Site Admin

Post by gfeliksdal »

Hi 3Diy,

Good to hear you got some prints. Strange that PLA is not working for you. What is the brand of the PLA? I thought it could be caused by overheating, but since PETG is working which in my experience is more sensitive to overheating, overheating is not very likely.

3Diy

Post by 3Diy »

Ok it just printed the marvin figure, everything else is still not working.

I´m really confident thats its related to heat and retraction.

However while i´ve tried to make the nozzle tighter i´ve accidently destroyed my second hotend :-(
Do you now if the tec_4 hotend parts can be bought seperatly? the store only sells the heatbreak and nozzles

gfeliksdal
Site Admin

Post by gfeliksdal »

HI 3Diy, the parts can be bought seperately. I'll ask my colleague to enable it tomorrow.

3Diy

Post by 3Diy »

Hi,

I ´ve installed a completly new hotend with hardened steel nozzle.
The first two prints went fine, however with the third attempt, the printer is not printing anymore after the first layer :-(

something suspicious is, that filament came out of the top of the barrel, i´ve noticed this will all my tec 4 hotends.

Secondly: I can reconstruct the problem when i go to the menu "change filament".
1. I push the filament until a string comes out of the nozzle (working good so far)
2. I retract the filament (around two turns with the menu-knob)
3. I try to push the filament again trough the nozzle, this time it wont work!

Does anybody know what I can do? Already at my third hotend that I´ve tried. About to throw the printer in the thrash!

gfeliksdal
Site Admin

Post by gfeliksdal »

Hello 3Diy,
If the fialment comes out of the top of the heated barrel, the only reason I can think of is that it must not been mounted correctly. Were you sure that the heatbreak was clean before mounting it? Especially the surface which touches the tip? This is basically a seal. If these two parts are not tightened correclty you will get teh leakage.

What also helps is to ensure that the hot-end is a little warm, when tightening the parts together to ensure there is no gap.

3Diy

Post by 3Diy »

Thank you for your fast reply!

I will try to tighten the nozzle and the heatbreak even more.
Maybe it will help if I sand the surfaces a little.