LCD module or Linux Barebone as a control?

This is the place to show off your felix printer hacks and improvements.
hoolito

LCD module or Linux Barebone as a control?

Post by hoolito »

Hi,

I just submitted my review of the Felix 2.0, but I forgot to recommend the LCD as a must!
I had been just made aware of the availability of the LCD module on the Upgrades page, (It would be nice to have Felix news by email :-))

Still, I was thinking: Isn't it better to connect a linux barebone instead of the LCD module?
I mean, I don't have a bill of materials to propose, but a friend of mine has one driving his home theater (no HD, Ubuntu runs from a USB stick) and he bought this for like 250 euros about 2 years ago... What would be the cost now? 150 euros?
Wouldn't that be worth it? You'd have the networking, the full Repetier Host UI (via remote desktop) (I haven't seen the Linux version though)..., shared slicing profiles between users...

I am not saying that this should replace the LCD-module. Probably this is better to control the HW directly and it's more portable.
But +1 from me for this to be an available upgrade... It could differentiate the Felix!
Food for thought?

Greets!
Felix 2.0

Lioric

Post by Lioric »

Probably something like this should be better (and cheaper):

Completely plug-and-play, it makes the printer truly stand alone, even it can browse, download and print directly from Thingiverse. And it prints wireless from the PC as a WIFI printer (directly from Repetier Host)

Here is a video of its main interface and printer control:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDsr5majy9o

hoolito

Post by hoolito »

Ok. Pretty revolutionary and impressive! It's around since January and I hadn't seen it!
I have a lot of question about this:

You say it's not a DIY project in the comments of the video, but what is it then? A prototype? A teaser? Is it available? Is it open? Do you plan to commercialize it? How come there's no chatter about it on the Felix forums?
I was talking about some solution in the 150-200 euro range. Do you really mean this is cheaper? I don't know about the cost on the hardware side these days but there is (and will need to be) a lot of thought and work on the UI too...

I read your advocacy http://www.felixprinters.com/forum/view ... t=20#p1139 for advanced human interface devices to control these printers. I surely agree with innovation!
But depending on your answers above... my request for discussion stands :-)

Cheers
Felix 2.0

Makron

Post by Makron »

I am also VERY interested !!

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem »

+1:)
Felix 2.0----> 3.0
V4 hot end
Simplyfy 3D
Kisslicer
Autodesk fusion 360

Lioric

Post by Lioric »

Yes, actually the project was from around September last year (if I remember correctly). I think it will be better if I post a new thread with the details and answers to your questions.

Hopefully I will have some free time this weekend to post it (and hopefully I can find the pictures of the other two prototypes as well)

hoolito

Post by hoolito »

I have good news about this!
I'll make a separate post...
Felix 2.0