Weird z-height momentary underextrusion

thegabb3r

Weird z-height momentary underextrusion

Post by thegabb3r »

Hi,

I recently had to disassemble the bed on my Tec4 to replace the y-axis stepper motor. Since then, I don't know why but I get a weird underextrusion after the first layer, even though before installing the replacement, my Tec4 was printing flawlessly. Now, even tough the first layer sticks well, I get underextrusion problems for about 10 layers after the 2nd layer. After these 10 layers the problem mysteriously resolves itself and the plastic extrudes normally. I tried turning the printer on/off, changing the 3d model, slicing using Repetier/Slic3r/Cura and Simplify3D, re-doing all the z-layer calibration and adjustments, nothing works. I'm really stumped about the cause of this problem.

Anyone knows what the problem might be? Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

thegabb3r

Post by thegabb3r »

Nevermind, I found the fix.

Turns out I had screwed a bit too much the main screw under the hotbed compared to last time. It seems the z-probe is quite touchy, not sure I understand why honestly. Even though I had re-calibrated the probe and leveled the bed, it looks like I needed to unscrew a bit more the main screw. I unscrewed about 180 degrees and it fixed the issue after z-probe calibration and bed leveling.

It now works as intended, I just don't know why a simple re-calibration of the z-probe was giving me that weird problem. Had I changed anything else but the bed I might not've found the fix that easily by myself. Hope this helps anyone if you ever get this issue!