ABS not warping with hairspray. well. sort of

This is for general discussions. Also FAQ can be found here.

Moderator: speedake95

hoolito

Re: ABS not warping with hairspray. well. sort of

Post by hoolito »

What a pain, man...
Is no one reading this printing ABS with success with the Felix??
Felix 2.0

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem »

I tried abs and result was bad, i printed 245 and 90 and fan off, after 30 minutes extruder bed was badly sagged :oops: i printed spare bed some time ago and now printing again whit PLA :lol:
Felix 2.0----> 3.0
V4 hot end
Simplyfy 3D
Kisslicer
Autodesk fusion 360

angryangel

Post by angryangel »

have someone already tried the raft funktion

under the full part??

i not tried i just playd wit the settings

her a pikture what i mean
Unbenannt.jpg

Hugues

Post by Hugues »

Already tried raft function ,
Raft is peeling, even after taping it.
:-(
Hugues
Regards from Switzerland

killejano

Post by killejano »

After some insulation trials I tried a trick to get the bed temp higher with out insulation. Put a lid on it when heating up and I can go way up on the temp. It drops ofcourse when I take the lid off but not that fast. Plenty of time to get first layer printed to a 120 deg bed for example. My bed is now steady at 107 deg with no insulation.

Seems tho that you need to set the temp much higher for it to heat. If I set the temp to 110 it will never go this high but when I set it to something like 150 it heat up higher.

I'm goig to try print abs staight on kapton after I get by bed dialed in and some other things tweaked.

Hugues

Post by Hugues »

thanks for the tip, i'll try 150 also.

This morning i'll try double sided tape on glass, and on a cold bed too because i saw that high temp weakens the binding force of tape.

I was thinking if someone ever tried to print upside down ? this way we could also print a thin wall around the part and the hot air would stay around the part. But I don't know if gravity plays an important role in 3d printing. Maybe not, as they are brining a 3d printer on board space station i believe. But turning the printer around is a bit of a pain. Would need some kind of rotating table...getting into some exteme thinking here to get that damned ABS to stick LOL. But the acetone finish is just that great ! LOL.
Hugues
Regards from Switzerland

hoolito

Post by hoolito »

Have you tried printing the extruder parts first in ABS? Wouldn't they otherwise begin to soften if you are printing at these high temps?
You could then try having some infrared lamps conditioning the surrounding air a bit... Kind of mimicking the oven that Stratasys has...
Felix 2.0

Hugues

Post by Hugues »

hoolito wrote:Have you tried printing the extruder parts first in ABS? Wouldn't they otherwise begin to soften if you are printing at these high temps?
You could then try having some infrared lamps conditioning the surrounding air a bit... Kind of mimicking the oven that Stratasys has...
not yet, too much warping so far. But i'll probably try them with double sided tape tomorrow.

I believe ABS has a higher melting point than PLA, so the print head should sag less if made out of ABS, i think.

I also thought about an infrared lamp to keep the ABS warm, especially i'm using black ABS. Just need to find the right place to install it so that the part does not stay in the shadow of the extruder or other parts. I also thought about using a hot air gun.
Hugues
Regards from Switzerland

killejano

Post by killejano »

Ok I tried some different things today. High bed temps seem to be history when you heat your extruder too. So at the hotter I got a print started at about 110 deg. It setled after that to about 90 degrees.
I printed without the fan on to prevent some curling but that resulted to my extruder carriage sagging so badly the layers actually shifted and the part came out diagonal. The carriage war really sof at one time.

First test was on kapton at 245/110-90 and it curled only a bit. Print failed due to sagging extruder carriage.
The second test was the same part on sanded glas with abs glue at the same temps. No curl at all but sagging carriage so failed print.
Third print was on sandblasted glass with abs glue at 245/60 degrees. No curl and no sagging. Perfect part!

This part the one that once pulled my kapton of the bed when I first time tried abs glue on kapton.

STL attached. I printed black abs with production normal default profile.
Attachments
kaivurin putkikiinnike.STL
(78.6 KiB) Downloaded 17 times

Hugues

Post by Hugues »

Great !
Maybe I should try the abs glue again.
What kind of mix you make ? A lot of ABS in it ?
Then do you put a lot of glue on the bed ?

I guess the holes on your part are helping to prevent warping , based on the video that was posted earlier
Hugues
Regards from Switzerland