Felix Powder Printer?

This is for general discussions. Also FAQ can be found here.

Moderator: speedake95

fgroeli

Felix Powder Printer?

Post by fgroeli »

I'm pretty new to 3D printing, got a Felix 2.0 a few weeks ago and still learning the ropes, but none the less got a few nice prints done. Now I'm also waiting on a new thermistor as others are, since the one in the hot-end failed.

I was wondering if the solid mechanics of the Felix would also be well implemented on a Powder 3D printer, such as the one made by the University of Twente, see link below. Is this something being considered? It seems like a lot of the hot end/jamming/thermistor/support material issues would be solved with this technique, and also seems possible in the same price range. Obviously powder printing will also have its issues which I have no idea about. But this would definitely be of interest.

http://www.shapeways.com/blog/archives/ ... rizon.html

Hugues

Post by Hugues »

oh, i like that !
Guillaume: when can we pre-order Felix 5.0 ? LOL
Hugues
Regards from Switzerland

Lioric

Post by Lioric »

Is just me or LOM seems to be a better (as in easier to implement and with color printing output) option to implement. I mean the parts produced by commercial printers are something else (no bending during printing, no shrinking, transparent, flexible parts, full color, really big sizes, just to name a few) and all it takes (basically) is just a plotter knife instead of the extruder.

I can see the argument of consumable waste for single or small parts, but it seems that the benefits offset that.

I will start to experiment with this printing method later as I make some free time.

*Probably this belongs more to the Reprap forums
Last edited by Lioric on Fri May 31, 2013 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hugues

Post by Hugues »

LOM ?
Hugues
Regards from Switzerland

Lioric

Post by Lioric »

Yes, Laminated Object Manufacturing. Can use simple A4 paper as the consumables or PVC "paper roll" (to create plastic parts)