Leveling out the printbed

temo

Leveling out the printbed

Post by temo »

Hello

I'm new to this forum and I just got delivered an Felix 2.0 fully assembled.

I been trying to level out the printbed, but can not get it level(should't be to hard when it's only a tree point leveling). So I start to wonder why and take out my strait edge and measure out the printbed. I find that in the x-dir the printbed has a 0.35 mm high-spot on the middle and in the y-dir the printbed has a 0.3 mm low-spot in the middle on both sides.

This gives me almost two layer-heights difference in heights across the printbed, how can I calibrate out this?

Terje

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem »

Buy 2mm class plate photoframe and leveling proplems are gone :)
Felix 2.0----> 3.0
V4 hot end
Simplyfy 3D
Kisslicer
Autodesk fusion 360

temo

Post by temo »

Hello

Not sure that will work with this printbed as it has a high spot on the middle. If I clamp it down on the sides it will probably crack along the middle over the ridge, had it been concave it would have been another matter.

As it is now it's not even wort trying to print, the tip will just hoover over the low-spot or it will crash into the high-spot on the middle, depending on what level you calibrate after, the outer edges or the middle.

Any other tips, or should I just ask for a replacement unit?

Terje

dognotdog

Post by dognotdog »

I just bent my bed into shape by hand. FWIW, it worked just fine.

alanh

Post by alanh »

The bed is pretty hard to level correctly. Just pulling it up at the end where there are no screws seems to help, but a slight knock can easily make that end of the bed droop.

Just got a piece of 270x300mm 2mm glass sheet and going to try that at some point to see if it helps.

seaton

Post by seaton »

Glass definitely helps in an uneven bed,

I also found one of my main problem was the bed support beam that is attached to the third hole on the plate was sagging even though it was tight and firmly attached on the Y-Axis linear bearing, I had to shim up one side to level it properly by putting a washer under where it is attached to the Y-AXIS so that the bed was fairly even and my 3 screws were fairly even when levelling, as I was finding the third screw was just about at the end of adjustment and still couldn't get it level.

I'd like to see the overall print bed improved in future models, as I still thinks its a bit flimsy on the left where the is no support.
Stephen...

Felix 2.0 -> Felix 3.0 dual
Simplify3D Slicer, Kisslicer
Have you added your Felix to the Map? http://goo.gl/maps/HajnZ

http://blog.strobotics.com.au

alanh

Post by alanh »

Exactly the same problem you have here. I thought about adding a washer, will try that too.

Capella_Ben

Post by Capella_Ben »

I find that I have a similar problem. I also sees that I loose calibration after a while. I see that the wavy spring washers tend to move around a bit and mess with the levels. I might make a ring that fits around them and holds them in place.

Could you use thermal paste (like they use in CPU heat sinks) to better conduct heat from the bed to the glass?

Ben
Ben
Felix 3.0 (upgraded from 2.0)

Rauno

Post by Rauno »

I am also having trouble leveling the bed. I have been reading a lot of posts and tried the following (printer is a Felix 3.0 DIY kit):
Leveled the bed which was covered with kapton tape -> Y-Axis is level, X-Axis is concave
Used a glass plate, set Z Home even closer to the Extruder.
Somehow I was able to print a test object using massive amounts of hair spray. Unfortunately this glas plate broke when I cleaned it.
Added one crinkled washer and one normal washer to each adjustment bolt (I thought it might be better to have a larger height span.
Checked the X axle rail (both bolts fastened with equal torgue). Used another glass plate, tried to level it again. You can see the differences in hight in the attached Image.
bed_concave.png
The plate is fastened to the print bed with document clips.

I really don't know what else I could do. I will keep trying to level the bed and see if I can figure out a setting that works.

Rauno

Post by Rauno »

I used a thicker glass sheet (3mm instead of 2mm) and the concave is smaller but still present. I suggest to use glass produced with the floatglass method because it seems to have the smoothest possible surface. I didn't manage to print successfully yet however because of other problems, probably filament related.