Printing ElectronicBoards - small holes and pitch problem

This is for general discussions. Also FAQ can be found here.

Moderator: speedake95

rad

Printing ElectronicBoards - small holes and pitch problem

Post by rad »

I tried to print some sort of an Electronic-Board.

Basically a thin plate (2.8mm) with small holes where I will put the resistor and IC's in and 0.5mm wires in caves as circuit path.
It should hold together by correct design and tight tolerances. It's an Idea I got.

This means it should have holes around 0.6mm in diameter (and a bit smaller) and in a pitch of 2.54mm.

Now when I try to print such with 0.1mm layer then it creates too small holes and over time it fills the holes.

I printed the Felix 40x10 sample and figured out that with 0.1mm the wall thickness is 0.6mm!! (explains to me why my 0.1mm always were worse than my 0.15mm)

So I can enter this values. But 0.6mm is way too larger for the 2.54mm pitch (I have to place a wire in between)
So it shouldn't be more than 0.4mm
(with 0.15mm it's 0.4mm but 0.15mm I can not use for this)

1. How to make it 0.4mm for 0.1mm layer (I guess changing the flow in the config!?)
2. how to keep the holes free from filling up? There is a comb in the config. will this help? Or is it because of the bed temperature.

Maybe I want too much but it would be really cool if I could print circuit boards. I already designed a small one for testing with openSCAD.

I know someone made a system with pillars but that's much too large for my taste. It has to be in the normal board dimension.

And this should be possible.. but the precondition is that the printer prints the holes and caves for the wires exactly.

rad

Post by rad »

That you get an idea what I am trying:

left is the BasePlate
right is the cover plate.

the BasePlate and the Cover Plate will both become equiped with 0.5mm wires in the channels.
Then the cover and the Base plate will be screwed together.
The IC resister etc will be pluged through the cover plate and stick into the Base Plate.
The wires in the channel are bend downward at the contact points.
With the right hole and channel size everything should contact through a bit pressure and the wire should hold in the channel.

So the idea. In reality it seems to be very problematic to do with the 3d printer. :(
Or I just had a bad start.
So I could use your help to find settings for such printing if it's even possible.
Maybe it's really not possible to do with this sort of 3d-printer.