Hot End Loose

This is for general discussions. Also FAQ can be found here.

Moderator: speedake95

RobGer

Hot End Loose

Post by RobGer »

Hi All!

The extruder hot end on my Felix 2 printer seems a bit loose as I can rotate it easily by hand.
I'v tightened the M4 x 40 bolt that goes through the hinge door but I am concerned that if I tighten too much it will damage the fan.
How can I prevent the hot end from rotating?

rad

Post by rad »

When my became loosen after my many extruder exchanges I put a small piece of fibre-Tape (my translation of the German word "Gewebeband") in the rounding of the door that clamps the extruder.

Here is a page with a picture (German)
http://www.industrial-packaging.de/de/p ... prodid=221
You should get that in any normal store even food stores sometimes.

Hugues

Post by Hugues »

is it actually meant to be fixed in all axis ?
i'm asking because mine is also rotating, but i did not think it was a problem.
unless of course if it's MOVING in any particular axis.
But rotation should not be a problem , right ? might even be better for the wires if they end up bumping onto something.
Hugues
Regards from Switzerland

rad

Post by rad »

I would make sure it's not rotating.

I think it is not reliable in accuracy if it does rotate while printing. You don't know how it rotates it might well cause x,y position shifts. A lose part doing something undefined is never good.

Also I am not sure if it's so good when it touches that bearing wheel for the filament feeding. You might risk to block it and the feeder requires more force then. I always make sure it's not touching it.

If the fibre tape doesn't work you might consider to add some glue material there instead the tape or other materials. In worst case reprint that door part.

JTa

Post by JTa »

I fixed my hot end tightly into the new extruder base by installing couple of extra curly washers on the hot end. I'll post a picture later. I had those washers also with the older version which needed a lot more of them. Made me wonder why the base wasn't modified to have even more plastic there so one would not need these kind of hacks?

My new improved printhead now has insulation as well, hopefully it wont sag now when I start printing some parts in ABS. Just used some 2-sided tape and aluminium foil to cover most of it.

EDIT: Added some pictures.
Added curly washers on the hot-end to prevent it from moving.
Added curly washers on the hot-end to prevent it from moving.
Added some insulation with 2-sided tape and aluminium foil under the carriage.
Added some insulation with 2-sided tape and aluminium foil under the carriage.

RobGer

Post by RobGer »

I too put a piece of cardboard in the rounding of the door that clamps the extruder.
This has fixed the problem for now.

Thanks for all suggestions.

t800

Post by t800 »

Be sure that you don't let het cardboard touch the heated part of the hotend.
As far as I know paper can ingnite at temperatures around 250 degrees celcius.
That's within reach of the heating element.