Simple filament roll holder

This is the place to show off your felix printer hacks and improvements.
Holmriis

Re: Simple filament roll holder

Post by Holmriis »

Hi Kjetilei
I have tried to print your nice filament holder, but my print suffer from bad overhang. Is there any trick how to make a nice overhang? Like special speed or other adjustments?

Kjetilei

Post by Kjetilei »

Hi Holmriis,

Thanks for the kind feedback :)

Sorry to hear about your print problems.

Experimenting a little bit with the support settings in the slicer should make it possible to print it properly (I can't remember if the version I have included in this thread includes "fake" support or not - the first version I printed had "support" embedded in the part but I have since switched over to using support added through the slicer).

The last version I printed needed 10-15 seconds of cleaning and printed nicely.

I'll see if I can take a photo of the underside tomorrow. It would also help if you could post a photo of the problem.

Holmriis

Post by Holmriis »

I think I need to study more about the slicer settings. I will upload a picture later when back in the workshop.
Thanks

twicx

Post by twicx »

Just printed the parts off. Fits PERFECTLY!! The raft inside the hole of the adaptor was a little tricky to remove, but once out, it works like a charm. I've to go get a 608 bearing tomorrow, but so far it's looking good. I have mine mounted at the bottom rail, next to the powersupply, and then a guide ring on the outside of the main vertical beam, and then it feeds in at the top. I wasn't keen on having it on the top frame really. Still, excellent work. I'm very impressed!

Kjetilei

Post by Kjetilei »

Hi twicx,

Thanks for the nice feedback! Do you have a photo of your setup that you could post?

Do note that the bearing will fit a bit loosely on the plastic part, meaning that the filament roll can wiggle a little bit. In practice it doesn't mean anything but I have thought about fixing it "just because..." I could also create a short version since one does not need the clearance mounted on the bottom rail.

Makron

Post by Makron »

This holder is BRILLIANT thx !

Kjetilei

Post by Kjetilei »

Makron:

Thanks for the nice feedback and happy printing!

fgroeli

Post by fgroeli »

Hi guys,
I'm new to all this, but I tried out your roll holder (had to make a bit of an adjustment to accommodate the larger inner radius of the roll) - don't you get the problem that when the print head moves underneath the roll (lots of "slack" in the filament) that lots of filament comes off the roll and basically causes a big mess?
Appreciate your feedback.
Cheers

Hugues

Post by Hugues »

fgroeli wrote:Hi guys,
I'm new to all this, but I tried out your roll holder (had to make a bit of an adjustment to accommodate the larger inner radius of the roll) - don't you get the problem that when the print head moves underneath the roll (lots of "slack" in the filament) that lots of filament comes off the roll and basically causes a big mess?
Appreciate your feedback.
Cheers
I do experience this problem. But with PLA or a filament with similar stiffness, there is a little trick explained in the first posts of this thread: you need to insert your filament by twisting it 270 degrees first counterclockwize, there is a short youtube video showing it.

But that trick does not help so much with softer filament like Arnitel. So i will probably move my spool in a vertical plane instead of horizontal so i can accommodate all type of filament.
Hugues
Regards from Switzerland

satoer

Post by satoer »

I've designed a horizontal fillament holder. You can download it here: http://www.felixprinters.com/forum/view ... p?f=7&t=90 I've shortend the vertical bars and it still works great. So you don't need the long bars like the pictures.
My Felix 1.5 printed designs on Thingiverse
E3D V6 Hot end upgrade for your Felix
Tweezer bracket for your Felix
Led bar upgrade for your Felix