Felix 2.0 Printer Reliability?

This is for general discussions. Also FAQ can be found here.

Moderator: speedake95

RobGer

Felix 2.0 Printer Reliability?

Post by RobGer »

Hi Guys,

Received my Felix 2 printer around 4 weeks ago now.
I was able to print a few really nice parts but after only a week the problems began for me.
I'm not sure what is actually happening but the printer stops extruding filament after printing a few layers.
The feeder roller bearing stops turning so I think there is a blockage in the hot end.
I bought a .35mm drill & some guitar string to try & clean but this hasn't fixed the problem.
I've also noticed the hot end is loose, It rotates & wobbles. Although my printer is only weeks old it seems I was supplied with an older head design. Guillaume suggested I print the V2 head to hold the hot end firmer. I would if I could get this thing to print.
I've wedged some cardboard between the locking mechanism & the hot end. This has put a bit of side pressure on the hot end & it seems secure now but I still cant print without jamming.

I'm going in circles now so need a strategy to sort this out.
I dont want to kick & scream too much as I know this is a great printer. The design looks so simple but I cant see whats going wrong.

Any assistance is appreciated.

angryangel

Post by angryangel »

yesterday after 2 nearly 2 month of printing i had ma first jam

i solved it as it is mentiond her in a ther tread

first het up the hotend to 210 deg than try to push filament by hand no matter if it dosent work

then switsch of the hotend and let it cool down to 130 deg
then pull the filament quick out of the Hotend
und cut off the puled out part

repat this a few times

till you can extrude filament normaly by hand

at mee it worked very fine

t800

Post by t800 »

You say the feed roller bearing stops turning.
How about the gear that feeds the filament, does that still turns or is the motor stalling to ?
If the gear still turns i would first check if nothing is jamming the bearing.
If the bearing is ok and the gear slips over the filament i would try to increase the tension on the bearing so it grips the filament a little harder.

Also try to lock down the extruder as best as possible (seems you already trying this) , if it rotates it's probably going to jam itself again the bearing and that could be enough to cause a jam.

All this above i would try to fix in manual control, at least until i can maintain a good feed. (its no use trying to print things if the feeding is not working).
Lower the bed 10 cm and just issue a feed instruction.
Start small first and the increase the feed length.
That way you should be able to monitor what happens.
several things are possible i guess . But my expierience is either not enough tension on the bearing so the feeder gear slips over the filament or else something is blocking the the bearing from rotating.

Other thing possible is there is something different about the filament itself. Did you switch to a different supplier then when you where able to print successfull ?
Maybe it needs a small increase in extruding temp depending on what settings you have now.

And if your want to print anything in ABS the first thing you should do if you get going is to print the extruder parts out of ABS.
With the increase in temperatures it's only a matter of time before the PLA parts start sagging and cause trouble like a loose extruder.
IMHO the heat rising from the printbed (80° C and more) is enough to make things sag over time.

Edit : I am currently printing the largest extruder part in ABS (3 hours print time) and i already had to tighten the feeder tension bolt 2 times during the printing because in higher speed infill areas the extrusion flow was to low or skipping. So i a am assuming my current PLA parts are suffering badly from printing in ABS.
Last edited by t800 on Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Trnquill

Post by Trnquill »

Not necessarily related, but my printer developed a random clogging issue a month ago. No unusual problems before that, but now the hot end is clogging every once in a while. I have not changed the filament in months, just printed small parts from the same spool of black PLA every now and then.

My printer just stops extruding at some point and the filament drive gear digs itself into filament. If I notice the problem right away I can quickly pull out the filament, clean the hot end as usual and restart the print process. But if the printer gets to continue trying to print for some time the filament will seize in the hot end so well I have to disassemble the whole hot end assembly to get it out. That is: I can't even pull the filament out by hand! It does come out a centimeter or so but then just jams. I have jammed the filament in the cold side of the hot end assembly now two or three times so bad I had to melt it out with a blowtorch. If I manage to get the filament out I can see it has a 1-2cm bulge (a thicker portion) right at the end. It looks like there's some extra room (diameter of the tube is too high) inside the hot end heater part or the cold part which allows the filament to expand. When printer tries to retract filament, the bulge jams up in the cold part of hot end and seizes.

Is this fixed in the new hot end? Actually, what has been changed in the new hot end design? The pics in the web shop look identical to v1.0!

killejano

Post by killejano »

t800 wrote: Edit : I am currently printing the largest extruder part in ABS (3 hours print time) and i already had to tighten the feeder tension bolt 2 times during the printing because in higher speed infill areas the extrusion flow was to low or skipping. So i a am assuming my current PLA parts are suffering badly from printing in ABS.
Thats why I tossed the washers on the first week I had my printer and used a coil spring in stead.

I agree it's mostly heat from the bed that makes things sag. Thats why I printed my ABS extruder parts on sandblasted glass with abs glue on a 70 degree bed. The carriage came out fine but when i printed the frame i had some bad extrusion due to parts failing at the tensioner. Luckilly it was still a usable part.

temo

Post by temo »

Robger +1 on the old part.

I got my printer about the same time as you, also with old extruder body, despite that Guillaume advertise that all the 2.0 ship with new extruder body. Old extruder and loose hotend. I wonder if I got an old hotend to, how can one tell?

Here are the problems one can expect from the old design:
Possible issues with Felix 1.5 extruder.
Extruder arm cracked after a while
Extruder base pt4 showed some cracks after a while
Hot-end was not completely fixed in carriage.
Filament guiding was too weak and could wear out after a while.

Really annoying.

I haven't bothered to try mine yet as the printbed are warped to and I'm sourcing for some flat boroglass.

Terje

RobGer

Post by RobGer »

Thanks for all the helpful suggestions.
I think my print head assembly has already warped and is causing the extruder to block due to hot end movement. Ideally I need to print some new parts to rebuild my hot end. As my printer is not working I cannot do this.

I do have access to a Stratasys FDM printer though and could print the assembly our of ABS but require an stl file to do this as G_Code cannot be loaded into this machine. Does anyone know if the STL files for extruder head housing are available for downloading?

angryangel

Post by angryangel »

here can you finde the files

http://www.felixprinters.com/forum/view ... f=14&t=340

can you print more than one??

RobGer

Post by RobGer »

I can but I have to pay for the material. The consumables for the Stratasys machines are expensive in comparison to the hobbyist machines like the Felix.

angryangel

Post by angryangel »

Can you Say how much the Assembly would cost?