Next version wannahaves

This is for general discussions. Also FAQ can be found here.

Moderator: speedake95

gfeliksdal
Site Admin

Re: Next version wannahaves

Post by gfeliksdal »

@satoer. yes I agree motor bouncing up and down is caused by an unstraight rod or that the coupling and rod are not completely in line. bed wobbling is caused by play in bearing.

Kjetilei

Post by Kjetilei »

Joy :)

I'm looking forward to (learn more about) this update!

Hopefully you are able to get it up on the web shop soon together with upgrade kits.
gfeliksdal wrote:I agree on the play in the z-axis bearing, when standard from the supplier, although when tuned correctly, there is almost no play present. The advantage of the bearings is also that they are very stiff.

The next version printer will have hiwin bearings for the z-axis slider. Like the x and y-bearings, they have no play, low friction and are very stiff. The alone will reduce/eliminate the wobble. Next to that there will be applied an acme rod with a larger diameter a larger pitch. This rod is easier to fabricate straight.

I've tried dual LM10LUU bearings. Results are that the long rods are acting as a weak spring becasue they are only supported on the top and bottom. I think LM12LUU might be stiff enough, but it will have a bulky appearance with the current frame imo.

Trnquill

Post by Trnquill »

gfeliksdal wrote:I've tried dual LM10LUU bearings. Results are that the long rods are acting as a weak spring becasue they are only supported on the top and bottom.
How about supported linear bearings? Like this: http://upload.ecvv.com/upload/Product/2 ... 023410.jpg There would be absolutely no flex and no play with those guys.

gfeliksdal
Site Admin

Post by gfeliksdal »

Those srem to be a good solution, regarding play and stiffness, only downside I see is that it does' t fit nicely to the current aluminum vertical beam. I've tested a similar igus solution with sliding bearings which only had holes on one side of the rail. but had too much play unfortunately.

dognotdog

Post by dognotdog »

Trnquill wrote:
gfeliksdal wrote:I've tried dual LM10LUU bearings. Results are that the long rods are acting as a weak spring becasue they are only supported on the top and bottom.
How about supported linear bearings? Like this: http://upload.ecvv.com/upload/Product/2 ... 023410.jpg There would be absolutely no flex and no play with those guys.

I wish there was no play... from my experience with 16mm bearings of that kind, the "cheap" ones for a couple of euros are quite bad. The proper ones from the likes of SKF cost 40 euro per bearing (no block!) for the 16mm version. So something of equal quality to the Hiwin slides would be quite a bit bulkier, and probably not cheaper.

gfeliksdal
Site Admin

Post by gfeliksdal »

Ah, I wouldn't expect such a quality difference between SKF's and the lower cost ones good to know that. The hiwin's seem to be quite low in cost regarding the quality you get so it seems. The hardware is slightly more expensive compared to the igus, but you don't have the labour to tune the play in the bearing. You also require a less wide bearing to obtain the same stiffness as the igus bearing they have no play because they are also pre-tensioned. They are also very easy to mount, which saves assembly and alignment time.

Kjetilei

Post by Kjetilei »

I noticed yesterday that Terence Tam (OpenBeamUSA.com) is importing something that seems to be Hiwin replicas from China and plan to sell a bundle of three 400mm rails/sliders for $160 beginning next month. If the price for the Chinese version is a lot less it might be an idea to use, though the cloning practice is questionable to say the least

I have noticed that many sellers on the Chinese sites seem to sell Hiwin replicas as original Hiwin.

Example: http://www.flickr.com/photos/jcrocholl/ ... hotostream

stew

Post by stew »

Hi there.

Just printing a part now and noticed how much the end opposite the x-axis motor vibrates and wobbles around.
(Not due to loose framework...). It does not really have much support along the Y-axis. I'm sure this reduces print quality.

Just thinking out loud......I know you are looking at ways to reduce framework etc but how about if the double
thick alu extrusion was used on both ends of the X-Axis? Providing it went to the 'floor' it should reduce Y-axis
wobble....? Maybe..?

Anyway, just wanted to put that out there to see what you think.

Cheers,
Stew

stew

Post by stew »

Or the top horizontal beam could be a double instead....
Though of course this messes with the rail placement etc.

gfeliksdal
Site Admin

Post by gfeliksdal »

Wobble of the x-axis motor? Or the x-axis belt mount. I'm not sure what you mean. Can't seem to have noticed that significant wobble in x-axis on any of my printers. Maybe the x-axis motor bracket might be improved by making it a bit stronger.

Double beam on the other side would be overkill I think, but might look nice and extra robust.