Tec 4 Firmware Upgrade Failure

Discussions about firmware/slicing software, tweaks and settings
bill.gertz

Tec 4 Firmware Upgrade Failure

Post by bill.gertz »

Houston, we have a problem...

Tried upgrading a Tec 4(.1) with Felix Printer Control board to 20200608 Upload FELIX 4 Dual PD V11" and getting a consistent verification error:

Code: Select all

Com Port for Felix printer is detected as COM5.
Do you want to upload Felix TEC firmware to this port? [Y,N]?Y
Checking if port is available...
Programming firmware into printer...

avrdude: AVR device initialized and ready to accept instructions

Reading | ################################################## | 100% 0.06s

avrdude: Device signature = 0x1e9801
avrdude: reading input file "Felix TEC 4 dual.hex"
avrdude: writing flash (261406 bytes):

Writing | ################################################## | 100% 53.14s

avrdude: 261406 bytes of flash written
avrdude: verifying flash memory against Felix TEC 4 dual.hex:
avrdude: load data flash data from input file Felix TEC 4 dual.hex:
avrdude: input file Felix TEC 4 dual.hex contains 261406 bytes
avrdude: reading on-chip flash data:

Reading | ################################################## | 100% 45.66s

avrdude: verifying ...
avrdude: verification error, first mismatch at byte 0x3e002
         0xf6 != 0x89
avrdude: verification error; content mismatch

avrdude: safemode: Fuses OK (H:00, E:00, L:00)

avrdude done.  Thank you.

Programming finished!
Exiting batch file...
Press any key to continue . . .
Tried the following (list does not include my attempts at summing dark magik by hurling curses):
  • Three different USB cables with and without ferrite filters
  • Running avrdude by hand eliminating the -D switch to ensure an erase is done
  • Checking the board for stray metal and general short circuits
  • Downloading a fresh copy of the firmware and using the fresh download

All of these things did not alter the error message, the location in memory 0x3E002 (253954) nor the mismatch of 0xf6 instead of 0x89.

Thing was the printer was acting the ass by layer shifting on every print. After an exhaustive diagnostic with the belts, lubricant, driver potentiometers and motor wiring continuity checking - we were left with one thing left to try. Sacrificing a goat. Um, sorry, reloading the firmware.

I can confirm the printer is acting , well, possessed using the bad firmware load. Um, the goat option still might be in play. Barring that, without getting a good firmware load the printer won't work right.

Given the high memory address I suspect the on chip EEPROM is toast. So the ATMega 2560 is soldered to the board, with no easy replacement. Am I screwed? Do I need to buy a new board? Is there something else I should try?

Get back to me please.

Regards,

Bill

bill.gertz

Post by bill.gertz »

All,

FelixPrinters suggested that the problem was most likely a corrupted bootloader on the Felix Controlboard. After trying a number of systems to use as an In-circuit Serial Programmer (ISP) to reburn the bootloader including:
  • Arduino Uno clone loading the ISP Sketch
    Sadly the clone was dead and would not load sketches
  • usbtinyisp
    Seemed to write but failed validation - be aware that this device shouldn't really be used with the Controlboard CPU (ATMega2560) since it can only write up to 64kB to an EEPROM
  • Bus Pirate v3.6 with bootloader 4.5 and firmware 09032019_OPT1_SAFE.hex
    Worked but also failed to verify to page read error at 50% of memory read
The usbtinyisp is rumored to work at Ada Fruit (https://forums.adafruit.com/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=20234) but I didn't see the post until I got it going with the Bus Pirate v3.6. Oh well. If it works for you then respond to the post so everyone else will know that it works.

After reburning the bootloader I was able to use the Tec 4 firmware upgrade script without a problem. The issue with every print layer shifting seems to be solved with bootloader reburn/ firmware upgrade.

Thanks to FelixPrinter support for suggesting a fix. Got there in the end and the printer is now working again.

Return to “Software/Firmware”