Reversed Y Data

igull

Reversed Y Data

Post by igull »

Hi All

Strange issue, I have been setting up my printer after a v2.0 upgrade. I've been sorting a few process issues, but noticed that an object I went to print had the text reversed or mirrored (it happened to be HLA's filament guide).
reversed y data.JPG
Viewing the gcode in the repetier viewer pane showed that it all read correctly yet when I went to print, the whole object was mirrored in Y - I hadn't noticed this issue previously, as all the objects were symmetrical :-)
Of course, I had assumed that I had wired the Y stepper incorrectly, but it homes to the optical sensor OK, so can only assume that there is an unknown software selection box called 'Mirror Y Data' - but if there is, I can't find it :-)
Out of interest, I swapped a pair of coils on the Y stepper, but it went away from home of course.

Edit: Just added a pic to show result.

Any thoughts ???

TIA

Best regards

Neil

igull

Post by igull »

This is a showstopper for me, so I'm replying to my own posts now as I work through the problems :-)

I don't think I mentioned that it is the new v2.0 Felix board rather than the original RAMPS board that I am using - I also didn't mention that I use repetier mac and that the object was sliced with slic3r (for some reason, skeinforge outputs gcode, but the machine doesn't like the taste of that flavour :-) )

In marlin, I have reversed the Y axis direction and also reversed the Y homing direction viz ...

// FelixPrinter settings Felix 1.0 revD up to Felix 2.0
#define INVERT_X_DIR true
#define INVERT_Y_DIR false // was true
#define INVERT_Z_DIR true
#define INVERT_E0_DIR false
#define INVERT_E1_DIR false
#define INVERT_E2_DIR false

// ENDSTOP SETTINGS:
// Sets direction of endstops when homing; 1=MAX, -1=MIN
#define X_HOME_DIR -1
#define Y_HOME_DIR 1 // was -1
#define Z_HOME_DIR -1

However, while the Y axis is now reversed ok, the Y_HOME_DIR doesn't work. If you try to home the Y axis in repetier, it just sits there, no movement - the other axes home ok - :evil:
Of course, we can't physically move the endstop position like you can on a reprap etc :-)

So, in the interests of engineering, I decided to go ahead with a reprint of the filament ring - I just manually moved the Y axis toward the front of the machine.

The reprint is now in the correct sense, but I am left with this non-homing issue.

I do feel that while I can simply reverse the axis, that this is not what is causing the reversal of the Y data.

If anyone has any suggestions, I will gladly accept them :-)

Cheers

Neil

seaton

Post by seaton »

Is there a possibility that your motor wires are incorrect on the board when you swapped out the ramps for the new felix 2 board ?
Stephen...

Felix 2.0 -> Felix 3.0 dual
Simplify3D Slicer, Kisslicer
Have you added your Felix to the Map? http://goo.gl/maps/HajnZ

http://blog.strobotics.com.au

igull

Post by igull »

Hi
Thanks for the reply.
No, they're correct. Even if the motor was reversed electrically, the marlin invert y direction would cure it (which it does).
The endstop home direction definitely isn't working.
Cheers
Neil

igull

Post by igull »

Found an article that said that not only should the INVERT_Y_DIR & Y_HOME_DIR be toggled in config.h, but also the Y_MAX_PIN and Y_MIN_PIN allocation should be swapped in pins.h - need to ensure that the correct motherboard type is chosen - type 101 FWIW.

However, that didn't work either :evil: I even tried swapping the pins in _PINS.h too - ditto result.

How many variables does it take to reverse an axis and get it to home ??

BTW, the motors are new motors kindly supplied by Guillaume - it's conceivable that the Y motor has a coil colour pair swapped , but I'm not about to unwire them to check that theory :D

Jeez, this shouldn't be rocket science.

Back to more Mr Google ...

Cheers

Neil

igull

Post by igull »

OK, when you're in a hole, stop digging and retreat :oops:

I went back to square one and RTFM to see if I had missed anything silly. I was reading through the construction PDF and saw the pic with the extruder mounted on it - and a caption further up saying "MODULE 3: THE X-AXIS (TIME: 30-60 MIN.)" - but that's not the X axis I said, that's the Y axis surely ! I DO know what the X and Y axes are of course - just that someone else had decided that they wouldn't orient the machine the same way as I would LOL :-)) I always (logically I thought :-) )assumed that the machine was viewed from the top as a capital 'T' - with the bar of the T being the X axis and the Y at 90deg to it. Both my steppers and sensors were swapped of course! A quick rewire, reload a fresh untouched copy of the latest Marlin Felix firmware and run a quick test print with something that was obviously inverted - problem solved !

As a penance, I have attached a quick diagram...
Felix Axes.jpg
However, there still remains the issue of why I couldn't reverse the Y axis in software ???? I no longer care of course, but it's an issue that should be addressed for the future !

Cheers

Neil

seaton

Post by seaton »

Hey Well done Neil!
Stephen...

Felix 2.0 -> Felix 3.0 dual
Simplify3D Slicer, Kisslicer
Have you added your Felix to the Map? http://goo.gl/maps/HajnZ

http://blog.strobotics.com.au