Settings for Cura and slic3r

This is for general discussions. Also FAQ can be found here.

Moderator: speedake95

Mayhem

Settings for Cura and slic3r

Post by Mayhem »

Does anyone have ready settings for these slicers :)

Cura is much simble than others and it slices very quickly so id like try that but im not sure how to set it :oops:
Felix 2.0----> 3.0
V4 hot end
Simplyfy 3D
Kisslicer
Autodesk fusion 360

superhornet59

Post by superhornet59 »

So, every Felix is different, but I've attached my settings profile. In Cura, go to File>Open Profile... and then select the file "Starting Point INI" I've attached. This will load my settings. Naturally you will want to play with temperature and infill settings based on your needs. The speeds have worked rather well for me but slower is generally better. These are optimized for the Felix webshop PLA filaments by the way.
Starting Point INI.zip
(1.51 KiB) Downloaded 243 times
EDIT: No biggie but the forum doesn't allow uploading .ini files so I put it in a zip archive.

One thing you'll notice is my nozzle setting is 0.32mm. No idea why but when it was set at 0.35 the loops had the slightest gaps (even after messing with flow rates) and I found that slightly under-valueing the nozzle diameter promotes better inter-loop adhesion because of the slight overlap. My parts are very strong and come out well, but I have no idea if this will work with YOUR Felix, so keep an eye on that one.

A couple of other pointers.. Try to set your shell thickness as a multiple of your nozzle diameter, otherwise weird things have been known to happen (The famous Cura 'Thin Wall Problem'). Also try to keep Bottom/Top thickness as a multiple of layer height, for the same reason. This is because unlike most slicers which allow you to input an exact number of loops/ top and bottom layers, Cura uses inputs in mm's, so it's good to give it a 'nice' number to work with.

I love Cura though, geez after experiencing such fast slicing times (Never ever taken longer than 15 seconds) I cannot imagine waiting for slicing ever again.. welcome to the fast lane man!

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem »

Thanks.
Felix 2.0----> 3.0
V4 hot end
Simplyfy 3D
Kisslicer
Autodesk fusion 360

hoolito

Post by hoolito »

Thanks also...
Although, I have to say that my experience is that Cura is really extremely fast to slice but produces a gcode less "friendly" to the Felix than SFACT.
It's hard to explain.. for example I still couldn't print the test40x10 object with the same quality, I can't adjust the start and end scripts to the same routines (the start script of Cura does not seem to purge the nozzle as good), The outside perimeter loop seems to be printed with extremely low flow and it gets dragged (even after manually purging the nozzle first)
Yesterday I tried with these settings but above problems were not solved... :-(
Felix 2.0

Hugues

Post by Hugues »

tried Cura the other day,
lightning fast to slice, so fast that i did not even realised the slice was finished.

but first (and only) print was crap. The printhead was moving so fast, looks like it's been drinking too much coffee, LOL

But i guess one can play with the settings and improve it.

I'm still using SFACT for now
Hugues
Regards from Switzerland

superhornet59

Post by superhornet59 »

You know, I take back the thing with the nozzle setting. I've been having a crazy amount of problems with my hot end in general and 0.32 worked and 0.35 just wouldn't work right, but this morning I put a new nozzle tip on and suddenly 0.35 works fine and 0.32 causes problems. Madness. So, for those just joining us now, here's a new slowed-down code with the 'right' nozzle settings. Left the temps blank so you need to preheat the nozzle/bed to your desired temp.
Updated Settings.zip
(1.5 KiB) Downloaded 205 times
The first layer should print at 20mm/s, which I find most crucial. After I've got that layer down.. the next ones stick to it at just about any speed. I can print at 135% of the earlier settings before noticing any real problems (meaning 60mm/s loops and 95mm/s fill). Just a matter of fine tuning the belts, keeping the bearings lubed, and carefully playing with temperature and flow rate. Then again most of my parts aren't intricate figurines and stuff, but prototype components, so more straight edges.

The only issue I've found with Cura is that when printing large cylindrical objects, it seems to chop the round shape up into vertical bands, instead of making a 'true' circle like I recall slic3r used to. Doesn't matter what polygon count the STL is. I find that a little annoying, otherwise it works great. To each his own I suppose.

And326

Post by And326 »

How to change the infill patern a line -> grid hexagonal in the program Cura??

superhornet59

Post by superhornet59 »

In this very latest version you can't. In version 13.04 ('average speed' slicing one) there were a number of options -including infill pattern- that were dropped in the new super-fact-slicing 13.06. I imagine it's because they had to practically re-code the whole slicing algorithm, but hopefully it'll come back soon.

crazy1pilot

Post by crazy1pilot »

Any new updates on using Cura with a Felix?

I recently bought the new Felix 3.0 with duel extruders and it is due to arrive any day! :) I was hoping to use Cura as the slicer because it is just so user friendly and fast. Ive imported the above settings into Cura but was wondering if anyone had any new findings/ changes. My plan is to print in ABS, so I know the temps will be different, but was wondering about the cooling fan should it be on/off? Will it cause the ABS to warp.

Thanks
Crazy1

Surfer

Post by Surfer »

I'm using Cura for a few days now and finaly found a plate which sticks realy well. I've tried PVA glue, Blue tape, glass with glue, Kapton tape, Hairspray but all of them caused the ABS to warp. Simple brown packing tape on top of the Kapton tape does the mirracle. for the Cura I wondered if anybody else has problems with the first 3-4 layers. The head jams into the printed part and creates lines. After 4-5 layers it is finished. Can it be the firmware ?