Stepper motor, lost steps?

suraki

Stepper motor, lost steps?

Post by suraki »

Finally managed to find time for assembly and doing my first test with stepper motors. :D

I stuck in the Instruction Manual (RevE v1) at chapter 13.3, 3rd step:
When i use the manual control in Repetier-Host, from time to time the steps are blocked and make strange motor noises. It's randomly occuring all 3 axis.
Easier to show than to tell:
http://youtu.be/sX1LjYBroQw

- First i push the Home Y button,
- than step 100mm two times. The second is stucked and the strange noise is coming...
- I push the Stop motor button (the noise is canceled).
- I push 10mm on Z axis button 3 times. The first and the second step look good, but the third...

Where to find the error?
It's a mechanical problem? But all axis? Maybe electrical or software configuration?
I'm a bit confused.
I downloaded the latest softwares from here (Repetier-Host 0.70b, Marlin RC2_Felix_1_0_RevD_v3 firmware) and i have a Win7 Home Pro 32bit.

Thanks for all kind of help!
Last edited by suraki on Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.

gfeliksdal
Site Admin

Post by gfeliksdal »

Hi suraki,

Judging from the movie this looks like the stepper drivers are getting too hot because they use too much power. They are going in to self protection mode, by turning themselves off for a short while. Did you mount the heatsinks? Also try to turn the screw of the potmeter on the stepperdrivers counterclockwise a little. This should do the trick.

Kind regards,

Guillaume.

suraki

Post by suraki »

Hi Guillaume,

thanks the quick answer!
Yes i attached the heatskins. After i screw the potmeters as you suggested, the Z and Y axis works perfectly. :D
But the X is worse, after few step. If i press a button (X+ X- Home X), only buzz the motor and doesn't move any directions.
If i connect the X motor to a different stepper driver, it's working again.
How do i set the small potmeter to the default position? (i tried a lot of position, but not marked the beginning one)

gfeliksdal
Site Admin

Post by gfeliksdal »

Good to hear the z and y axis work well. The default position is fully counter clockwise, when turning you should feel a stop. From that point turn it approx an eight to a quarter turn clockwise again. That should approx be good.

suraki

Post by suraki »

Thanks again!
With your detailed descirption, finally i could tuned the axis potmeters and are woking fine on 3 axes!

But now i don't find the correct setting on extruder driver potmeter. I tried a lot, but it's looks like just change the vibration intensity and don't turn around. By my hand, i can turn around the motor axle with bronze pulley, just like other motors. :cry:

gfeliksdal
Site Admin

Post by gfeliksdal »

Hi Suraki,

Sorry for the late reply, but did you know that the extruder motor only works if the hot-end temperature is above 170 degC? This is a protection mechanism to prevent cold extrusions.

If that doesn't solve your problem either the stepper driver or the motor is broken. to be sure which one is broken just plug the extruder motor onto for instance the x-axis stepper driver. If the extruder motor works, the extuder stepper driver is broken.If the motor doesn't work the stepper motor is broken.

Kind regards,

Guillaume.

suraki

Post by suraki »

Hi Guillaume!

Yes, the Repetier-Host send a log message if i try cold extrusion below 170 degC.
If i connect the extruder motor to an X axis driver, the motor is working.
It looks like an extruder stepper driver does not functioning properly. :(
I think I need some spare parts...it is possible to order from you not the full electronic kit (like in the webshop) just a stepper driver?

Anyhow, thanks the first class support in a debugging session! :)

gfeliksdal
Site Admin

Post by gfeliksdal »

Like in the other post could you please change the bad stepper driver to a different position. This will rule out that the ramps board is defect. If it doesn't help I'll arrange you a replacement. I have to talk to the electronics supplier...

suraki

Post by suraki »

gfeliksdal wrote:Like in the other post could you please change the bad stepper driver to a different position. This will rule out that the ramps board is defect. If it doesn't help I'll arrange you a replacement. I have to talk to the electronics supplier...
OK.
I put the bad extruder stepper driver to the place of Z driver on RAMPS board, consequently the Z axis did not move, just vibrating.
Whan i changed back, the Z axis working again.

suraki

Post by suraki »

Hi Guillaume!
The spare part is arrived and solved the problem!
Thanks! :-)