Serious y-axis troubles with Felix 2.0

This is for general discussions. Also FAQ can be found here.

Moderator: speedake95

pla_GodX

Serious y-axis troubles with Felix 2.0

Post by pla_GodX »

Hi *,

I have my Felix since two weeks now but I cannot get ridd of some serious y-axis misplacement occuring during operation.
x-and z-axis are both ok.

The things in the foto should be poti-knobs.
the waves in y-axis are unwanted ;-)
the waves in y-axis are unwanted ;-)
I tightend all the screws and belts.
And I also tried to enter the mm per Step variables in the printer configuration in RepetierHost-Menu, but this adjustment seems to be fitting to the number of teeth of the pulley and the teeth distance of the belt.

It looks like the variation of the y-coordinates is somehow sinus-like. The deviation is strongest when the y-axis is under heavy action to creating filling layers in that 45 degree strategy. Probably direct change of y-direction. (Somehow it works in x-direction)
I printed a whistle where there are phases with not so much "filling-layer-action" and the hot-end mainly goes in circles. Then the y-axis work seems quite ok for long periods.

Is there something else I could try?

seaton

Post by seaton »

nopt enough current on the Y stepper maybe? Adjust pot on the board
Stephen...

Felix 2.0 -> Felix 3.0 dual
Simplify3D Slicer, Kisslicer
Have you added your Felix to the Map? http://goo.gl/maps/HajnZ

http://blog.strobotics.com.au

dognotdog

Post by dognotdog »

… or too much current. If the driver gets too hot, it cuts out intermittently, though yours could also be step loss, as it looks like it was fine during the extrusion, and maybe just lost steps during fast travel between extruding.

pla_GodX

Post by pla_GodX »

Hi,

I gave it another try.
yaxis3.jpg
Left side the filament guide from the download section, right hand side the 40x40.stl.
In the 40x40 there is not so much direction change but you can see that there is already a deviation in the upper layers.

I set the eeprom values for velocity to 900.00, y-axis maximum velocity to 350 and y-axis maximum acceleration to 3500.
Then I gave the y-axis poti a 5 degree turn to higher current and set the speed-factor in repetierhost "manual control menu" to 60.
That are a bunch of parameter changes I know but I thought they all reduce the harshness of direction change.

The big piece started quite good. but the upper half is a joke. I cannot mount it to the rail like that.
It started fine. Then the y - axis control got lost again into maybe sinus like deviation.

The x-axis is still good, my guess is that there is not so much inertia on the x-axis to fight against when direction is changed like on y. Maybe the motor shaft keeps turning some steps until it is driven into the other direction.

Hasn't someone the same problem? That would enhance the pressure for further development work.

seaton

Post by seaton »

IT looks like a belt is slipping or motor is stalling, build platform is hitting something. Is the belt drive pulley secure on the shaft?

How I ended up setting the current for my motors is turn the current down, then command the axis in question to move. Does it stall? increase until it moves smoothly then put my hand on the motor and perform the same test, does it stall easy? if so then increase the motor current until there is reasonable starting torque there.
Stephen...

Felix 2.0 -> Felix 3.0 dual
Simplify3D Slicer, Kisslicer
Have you added your Felix to the Map? http://goo.gl/maps/HajnZ

http://blog.strobotics.com.au

pla_GodX

Post by pla_GodX »

Hello,

seaton you were right: the pulley screw got loose. must have been during printing action.

Next try this evening.

pla_GodX

Post by pla_GodX »

Hi *,

after some troubles with the y-axis in last days my Felix 2.0 DIY Kit prints fantastic.

I am really happy with that product know!!! I can recommend it.
It was really fun to assemble.

Here you can see why: The poti knobs in the middle are the good ones printed with quality level 3, no support in SFACT, material is PLA.
The accurateness looks very promising for later creations.

The poti on the outside have been printed with a loose pulley screw on the y-axis. I further set the EEPROM Settings for the y-axis velocity and acceleration in repetierhost to 2/3 of its factory settings.

Speed factor in manual cotnrol menu was 100, I even set it to 115 for some layers -> no flaws visisble.
knobsforforum.jpg