Motor not getting enough power

Discussions about the electronics
wtse

Motor not getting enough power

Post by wtse »

Hello,

I've just finished putting together the printer but when I am trying to calibrate it the y-axis motor does not seem to get enough power. It just made a humming noise and I can see some tiny movement but not enough to move. I've then adjusted the trim pod on the stepper driver in small steps and it just seems to get louder but still no movement even up to the max setting. I then swapped the x and y connection to test the motor, which the motor turns out to be fine. Can I get some direction as of what I should do next to troubleshoot this problem? Thanks.

Wilson

Kjetilei

Post by Kjetilei »

If it is not related to the adjustment of the stepper drivers it might be friction related. You could try to test with the extruder stepper that should not be affected by friction.

It can be caused by the slider(s) in the sliding bearing(s) being too tight but it can also be caused by the belt(s) rubbing on the washers or other parts of the printer. If the belt(s) is tightened too tight it could also cause extra friction in the sliding bearings.

Hope you understand what I'm trying to say. Was in a hurry :)

Good luck!

wtse

Post by wtse »

I undone the belt and tried with just the motor itself again this morning. The motor turned a bit when I do the manual movement with 0.1mm increments, but when I try to do 10mm increment it does about 1 turn and stopped. I can also stall the motor with my finger touching the gear lightly.

Is there any way to diagnose the stepper driver so I know if it is the stepper driver problem? I found this page http://reprap.org/wiki/Arduino_Mega_Pololu_Shield, on the bottom there is a section with stepper driver testing. It feels like when I touch the heatsinks on the stepper drivers, the Y axis is not as hot as the other ones. I am not good with electronics and does the instruction means I should just be using a multimeter to test the voltage of the connection points on the stepper driver board? Or am I even looking at the correct instructions? :?

suraki

Post by suraki »

I have a same problem with an extruder stepper driver. :?
http://www.felixprinters.com/forum/view ... ?f=14&t=42

gfeliksdal
Site Admin

Post by gfeliksdal »

wtse wrote:I undone the belt and tried with just the motor itself again this morning. The motor turned a bit when I do the manual movement with 0.1mm increments, but when I try to do 10mm increment it does about 1 turn and stopped. I can also stall the motor with my finger touching the gear lightly.

Is there any way to diagnose the stepper driver so I know if it is the stepper driver problem? I found this page http://reprap.org/wiki/Arduino_Mega_Pololu_Shield, on the bottom there is a section with stepper driver testing. It feels like when I touch the heatsinks on the stepper drivers, the Y axis is not as hot as the other ones. I am not good with electronics and does the instruction means I should just be using a multimeter to test the voltage of the connection points on the stepper driver board? Or am I even looking at the correct instructions? :?
The last thing you could do is to change the stepper driver of the y-axis to the a different one. If the same problem persists on the y-axis then it might be that the ramps board is defect.
Otherwise I'll arrange you a replacement unit as soon as possible

wtse

Post by wtse »

I've swapped the X and Y stepper driver and now the X motor does not work. It looks like the stepper driver is not working.