V1.5 to V2 upgrade firmware

Discussions about firmware/slicing software, tweaks and settings
Geertjan

V1.5 to V2 upgrade firmware

Post by Geertjan »

I have upgraded my felix 1.5 to v2.0. I still use the old Arduino electronics but since the z axis spindle in the v2 upgrade is different from the old one the z axis steps during printing are too big. Due to the old firmeware? I think I have to upgrade my firmware but can the new firmware I found in the downloads be used with the old Arduino board or is it for the new felix board only. I am not sure and can't find any instructions on this issue.

dognotdog

Post by dognotdog »

You just need to change the DEFAULT_AXIS_STEPS_PER_UNIT variable for the Z axis, from 2560.0 to 1600.0, in the Marlin source code, or do this via the printing console in eeprom, see commands M500/501/502/503.

Geertjan

Post by Geertjan »

Hi dognotdog. If i understand you well I can change the existing code in the eeprom. I have never done that before. If I start messing around with the printing console I might end up with a corrupted installation. I have search for some sort of instruction but couldn't find any that I understand.
Is there an i nstruction for arduino novices?

Geertjan

Post by Geertjan »

I found this in the marlin code. on the arduino sketch tab configuration.h
Just change it from 2580.645 to 1600? and upload?
Attachments
marlin source code
marlin source code

dognotdog

Post by dognotdog »

You can't really mess up the EEPROM, you can always reload the "default" settings. See http://www.ctheroux.com/2012/11/g-code- ... by-marlin/ on the bottom for reference, on what you need to do. When you send M503, all settings are printed, and you can copy/paste the appropriate line back into the console, and change the appropriate value. You might need to do a "reset" of the eeprom values anyway, if you ever changed them, even if you update the value in the Marlin source.

However, you have also found the right value in the source code to change. Also of note: 169 for the E(xtruder) axis seems to be wrong. I have recently measured it it to be about 145.5, which is also the theoretical value it should have, based on the nominal dimensions of the extruder gear. Curiously, I printed fine with E=169 for ages, with only very slight indication that the wrong amount of material was spat out :)

Geertjan

Post by Geertjan »

That is very helpfull. But now for the final question I almost not dare to ask :oops: how do I send the gcodes M50x to the printer. Do I have to use reptier host? From the gcode panel.

dognotdog

Post by dognotdog »

You can send manual gcode from the "print panel" or "manual control" tab in repetier host, depending on the platform.

Geertjan

Post by Geertjan »

Hmmm, if I send a code via the pint panel nothing seems to happen. If I enter M503 at least. If I enter G28 the printhead returns to its home position.
What software do you use to change parameters?

dognotdog

Post by dognotdog »

Repetier host as a "console" where it shows the output from the firmware and various log message. M503 should print to that.

Geertjan

Post by Geertjan »

I'll keep fiddeling. Hope I will find it. Now i know that it is the way to go. Can it be done in the mac version?