V1.5 to V2 upgrade firmware

Discussions about firmware/slicing software, tweaks and settings
Geertjan

Re: V1.5 to V2 upgrade firmware

Post by Geertjan »

OK here is were I get stuck. I can send a Mxxx code via the send G-code option in the repetier host print panel. I has been send because it shows up in the log window below. (red arrow). I found a window EEEPROM settings but that is empty. Sending the M503 command did not make anything visible in this windows. Where am I going wrong?
Attachments
repetier host
repetier host

dognotdog

Post by dognotdog »

I have the same version of repetier host. Turn on "Warnings" above the console, maybe that does it. I have never used the EEPROM window, so I don't know if that should be working or not in any case. For me, when I send M503, it echoes the current settings in the console, but I'm not with the printer now to make a screenshot.

Geertjan

Post by Geertjan »

I have turned on 'warnings' but with no result other than the console returning M503 *55 nothing else :(

Geertjan

Post by Geertjan »

I search for 'repetier host reading eeprom' on the web. found not much except some talking about the serial communication baud rate of 250000 was to high. I tried different settings but only get a connection with a baud rate of 250000! and this http://www.printrbottalk.com/forum/view ... =19&t=3976 that is basically saying the same what I am trying to do.
These are my settings
OS X 10.7.5
repetier host Mac version 0.56
The eeprom window says it works only with repetier firmware, are we using this software?
Attachments
printersetting respetierhost.jpg

dognotdog

Post by dognotdog »

I believe the buffer size on the Felix version of Marlin had a 96 byte buffer, at least for the 1.0E version. So the EEPROM window shouldn't work, as it's Marlin on the Arduino, not the Repetier Host firmware.

Other than that, seems fine. The baudrate is obviously ok, as you can communicate, and it's the same I use, too.

The image above shows what I see. Can you see the firmware respond when you connect to the printer from repetier host, before you issue any manual commands?

Geertjan

Post by Geertjan »

Yes, when I make a connection the printer it echo's it's
firmware version. Marlin 1.0.0 RC2.
Free memory 5608
Plannerbufferbytes 1232
Using default settings.

On the end of the start up list is a M503 command but after that nothing.

Strange thing I noticed after upgrading. After starting RH and connect to the printer I have to issue a reset on the board. After this the communication is established.
I previously said that sending a M28 command worked to send the printhead to its home position. But even this M command does not always work.

dognotdog

Post by dognotdog »

I believe to have the 1.0.0 RC3 firmware, so maybe its some software issue?

Though if you sometimes have trouble sending commands to the board, try re-flashing the firmware, also re-check all connections on the RAMPS board, and that the RAMPS board is sitting firmly on the Arduino. Sometime back I had similarly weird issues, but they've gone away after disconnecting and reconnecting everything, including separating (carefully) the Arduino and RAMPS boards. What the actual cause was, though, I cannot say.

Geertjan

Post by Geertjan »

I'll check the connections first.
Perhaps it is also better to upgrade to Firmware_Marlin RC3_Felix_1_5.zip I found in the download area?

Can I load the new firmware over the existing version or do I have to clear the board first before uploading a new version? I have never done it before except uploading the first version to the new arduino that came with my felix 1 revD

dognotdog

Post by dognotdog »

You don't need to "clear" the board, justbuild & upload the firmware via the Arduino software.

Geertjan

Post by Geertjan »

Succes!!!.
I have uploaded Firmware_Marlin RC3_Felix_1_5. and now if I send M503 it perfectly echo's the settings.
Before I uploaded I changed the z-axis teps to 1600 to see if I truly had uploaded the new version,

If I now want to change a setting what is the syntax I should use? You said 'copy and past back into the console' but I not sure what you mean.
dognotdog wrote:When you send M503, all settings are printed, and you can copy/paste the appropriate line back into the console, and change the appropriate value. You might need to do a "reset" of the eeprom values anyway, if you ever changed them, even if you update the value in the Marlin source.
should I send this string M92 X76.20 Y76.20 Z1600.00 E169.00 I copied it from the console
then send M500 to store these in EEPROM ?