New User (Very NOOB) With some questions.

This is for general discussions. Also FAQ can be found here.

Moderator: speedake95

Metalrat

New User (Very NOOB) With some questions.

Post by Metalrat »

Hello All,

I am only a very recent newcomer to the community. I have only had my printer for 2 weeks now and I've only printed for one session so far.

The session was yesterday when I printed myself a couple of spare parts (Thank you again Wilgo for the necessary files)

The parts all printed what I would consider perfectly.. No lack of adhesion, easy deposition, the prints produced were excellent in my opinion. I went to bed flying like an angel and could not wait for today.

Today I came back to the printer and I am having issues with some files, Lack of adhesion when it would print, lack of plastic deposition in the first and second layer.

I blamed that on the files I downloaded from thingverse and how they sliced (though being a noob this is very much an assumption or grasping at straws for a reason perhaps).

I then returned to the parts I printed yesterday and had the issue as shown in the image below.

The print early on

I stopped it at this point

I thought I had cleaned the kapton tape sufficiently, I was using the same settings for printing as yesterday those being.

Medium - White PLA
Nozzle - 195
Bed - 55

I would appreciate advice of any type but I have a couple of questions for those of you who are more proficient.

1 - What is the best way of cleaning the Kapton surface?
2 - Should I investigate the use of a glass surface on top of the bed?
3 - The problem with the non adhesion is that due to any settings I can control? or should play with?
4 - What solutions do people use for the spooling of the filament? I have printed off the guide part and will be purchasing a t-slot nut 8ST M4 when I can find a supplier over here in Australia to affix it to the printer.

I will be cruising these forums and checking the web for more hints/advice but would still appreciate any that the members here can offer.

Kindly Yours
Metalrat (aka Scott)

seaton

Post by seaton »

G'day Scott,

I clean mine with nail polish remover that has acetone in it, I also have a small bottle of acetone I purchased from bunnings and my PLA sticks very well, I haven't tried ABS yet.

Regards,

Stephen
Stephen...

Felix 2.0 -> Felix 3.0 dual
Simplify3D Slicer, Kisslicer
Have you added your Felix to the Map? http://goo.gl/maps/HajnZ

http://blog.strobotics.com.au

Metalrat

Post by Metalrat »

Thanks mate, I wasn't sure if acetone would fubar the tape so I steered clear of it.. I'll grab some from bunnings tomorrow and see how it goes.

aikx

Post by aikx »

Metalrat wrote:I would appreciate advice of any type but I have a couple of questions for those of you who are more proficient.

Metalrat wrote:1 - What is the best way of cleaning the Kapton surface?
Acetone
Metalrat wrote:2 - Should I investigate the use of a glass surface on top of the bed?
Try kapton first
Metalrat wrote:3 - The problem with the non adhesion is that due to any settings I can control? or should play with?
"Speed" 50%, "Fan on" for the first layers! Optimize Z-distance nozzle-bed!
Metalrat wrote:4 - What solutions do people use for the spooling of the filament? I have printed off the guide part and will be purchasing a t-slot nut 8ST M4 when I can find a supplier over here in Australia to affix it to the printer.
I use the design you can see here: http://www.felixprinters.com/forum/view ... lder#p2389(did not find the initial post with STL-files). It´s simple, works fine and damps vibrations.

Metalrat

Post by Metalrat »

Thank you Aikx, your response is appreciated.

twicx

Post by twicx »

The tip for nail-polish remover works a treat. And on the topic of products you might find on your girlfriend's desk, when the bed is heating up, spray some hairspray on it. It's a seriously awesome way to make the print stick to the bed. I find myself replacing the kapton tape a bit more frequently doing that, but it's worked pretty excellently so far. Plus, it makes the underside of the model smell fruity, although that might be just because she uses Fructis Extra Strong Hairspray.

There's actually a thread about anti-curling using hairspray.

Hugues

Post by Hugues »

spray it on a 2mm glass plate; then you don't have to re-do your kapton tape, and you'll get a flatter surface.
Hugues
Regards from Switzerland

JTa

Post by JTa »

Do NOT use nail polish remover, unless you're absolutely sure it does not contain any oils. AFAIK, most nail polish removers do contain some sort of oil for some reason (girls might know?). It's cheaper to go to your local hardware store and buy pure acetone.

gobi

Post by gobi »

as long as we're talking newbie questions. what is the optimal distance between the bed and the hotend? mine is about... 0.1 or 0.2 mm-s but if i raise it the filament doesn't stick. second: could anyone tell me what is the e-steps calibration is about?

Hugues

Post by Hugues »

gobi wrote:as long as we're talking newbie questions. what is the optimal distance between the bed and the hotend? mine is about... 0.1 or 0.2 mm-s but if i raise it the filament doesn't stick. second: could anyone tell me what is the e-steps calibration is about?
myself i try to go below 0.1, like between 0.05 and 0.1, i use a thickness gauge for this, below picture, that's probably the only way to reach this level.
Thickness_gauge.jpg
Hugues
Regards from Switzerland