How do you remove the extruder?

sam

How do you remove the extruder?

Post by sam »

Hi there,

Seems like lots of people have clogging issues on here and there's plenty of good advice about removing the hot-end and cleaning it. But can't find any photos or clear instructions about how to actually dismantle it. Does the whole thing unscrew? Which bit do you hold if so?

Can anyone point me in the right direction or pass on some advice please?

I'm running a Felix 2.0 with 1.75mm PLA at 195'C on a 55'C heated bed. Fan on full. Just got 20 mins into my second build and the extruder nozzle stopped putting out plastic. See test print attached, with just a few splodges of PLA.

Hope someone can help

Many thanks
Sam
Attachments
Test print.jpg

dognotdog

Post by dognotdog »

It's better not to dismantle it, if you can clean it otherwise. If you absolutely must, you can carefully grip the round parts with a pipe wrench to unscrew the nozzle from the PEEK.

sam

Post by sam »

Thanks dognotdog.

How would you recommend cleaning in situ? I'm completely new to this, any tips or links gratefully received.

dognotdog

Post by dognotdog »

I recommend the "pull back" trick, e.g loosen the tensioner, heat to about 70° and pull the filament out the back as soon as that temperature is reached. If it doesn't get everything out, heat up to operating temp, push filament in manually till it gets stuck, let cool to room temp, repeat until no more debris comes out the nozzle.

If you can't stick the filament in deep enough, try heating up to op. temp, and try poking in from below with thin wire or a guitar string, while trying to feed the filament manually.

If nothing helps, you may have some filament stuck in the upper part of the hot-end, and you may have to disassemble it to get it out.

sam

Post by sam »

Perfect, thanks very much.

sam

Post by sam »

P.S. How do you adjust the tensioner mechanism? :D

vishesh

Post by vishesh »

Please post how to increase the extruder arm tension

sam

Post by sam »

Hi vishesh, I didn't get a reply regarding the extruder tensioning, so can't pass on any details i'm afriad. In the end the problem was caused by the PLA. We've switched to a new PLA material and not had any problems since. Cheers