First test print!

This is for general discussions. Also FAQ can be found here.

Moderator: speedake95

markus_kyroe

First test print!

Post by markus_kyroe »

Hi,

I've got some problems with the first test print. I have attached some pictures. I have done various test prints at different heats for bed and nozzle. Different printing speed. Both tried to use Repetier Host and Printrun.

It seems like the x-axis is a little off. Any idea of what i do wrong? Have tried to search in the forum for similar problems but could'nt really find any.

Thanks,

Markus
Attachments
Various test prints.
Various test prints.
X-axis failure?
X-axis failure?

Lioric

Post by Lioric »

From the last image, it seems that there is an error accumulation on x, is it missing steps in the stepper?

At this time I can only give you some general tips (my printer package is held another week by the UPS carrier by no good reasons, so not real experience with the printer yet)

Belt too tight
the endstop is incorrectly positioned, not well calibrated
firmware (acceleration related issues)
test with a previous (or another) version of your printer driver application
test with a different print profile, try to slow the printing down to see if it is related to firmware/gcode

Try to swap the x stepper with another one, it might be that it doesn't have enough juice while accelerating and the position tracking is changed because of this

Hope others provide you with more solutions

HLA

Post by HLA »

Hi,

Congrats on setting up your printer. Getting to the first print can sometimes a tedious task, but you'll get there :)

Another issue I would like to add to the list of Lioric:
- Extruder arm not tight enough.

The latter causes very little filament being extruded. Hence, the extruded plastic does not stick to the previous layer and creates a mess. Try tightening it and see what happens. However, do not overtighten it - the clear indicator for this is the extruder stepper skipping steps (loud clicking noise in the motor).

Guillaume's manual also includes a way of adjusting the right current for your steppers on the driver boards. Insufficient current could be another reason for disaligned prints.

Good luck!
HLA

markus_kyroe

Post by markus_kyroe »

Thanks for the replies :-)

I'll go through the list. Hope some of it will work...

@Lioric, can the problem might be that the belt is NOT to tight? Have a little problem with the tensioning mechanism. The nut which focus the tensioning bolt floats around and is not kept static. Therefore I have a hard time tensioning the belt 100 pct. I think I will go and get some glue!

/Markus

gfeliksdal
Site Admin

Post by gfeliksdal »

Hi Markus, which tensioning bolt is floating around? For the x or y-axis?

markus_kyroe

Post by markus_kyroe »

Actually both of them. I think i managed to get the tension right on the y-axis but unfortuanally not on the x-axis. Bolts spinning around both places. I have time to take a look at it tomorrow. Tell me if you need pictures of it.

/Markus

gfeliksdal
Site Admin

Post by gfeliksdal »

Normally this shouldn't happen. Did any contaminant come into the thread of the nuts? This can lock them together and resulting in a floating nut. I can send you gcode files of the parts, so you can print them out just in case.

markus_kyroe

Post by markus_kyroe »

Maybe I have used the wrong nuts? I have used the self prevailing nuts... :-S

It would be nice to have the gcode files. I just need to be able to print them first :-)

I cannot fin the manual @HLA is reffering to, to adjusting the right current for the steppers on the driver boards... Anyone have a link?

I have tightened the x-axis with some strips and it seems really firm now, but have made no improvement in the print.
the endstop is incorrectly positioned, not well calibrated
Think it's fine? It stops at the opto sensors and listens to the x-, y- and z-axis home buttons.
How do i fix this? Think it is allright? Have checked that it's the right version i use...
I.e. which one? Why should this help? The version seems to work for others?
test with a different print profile, try to slow the printing down to see if it is related to firmware/gcode
I have tried different print profiles and speed. Still a mess :-(

Is the solution then to buy a new motor for the x-axis or are there any other options which may cause the faillure?

Kind regards & thanks for all help,
Markus

gfeliksdal
Site Admin

Post by gfeliksdal »

markus_kyroe wrote:Maybe I have used the wrong nuts? I have used the self prevailing nuts... :-S

That is most likely the problem.
markus_kyroe wrote: It would be nice to have the gcode files. I just need to be able to print them first :-)

markus_kyroe wrote: I cannot fin the manual @HLA is reffering to, to adjusting the right current for the steppers on the driver boards... Anyone have a link?
It basically comes down to turning the potmeter on the stepper drivers with a screwdriver. Clockwise means more power, counterclockwise means less power. Too much power will result in overheating and the chip will go into self protection mode. This will result in periodic twitching of the motor. Also be careful because the screws are sensitive.
markus_kyroe wrote: I have tightened the x-axis with some strips and it seems really firm now, but have made no improvement in the print.
Are you sure the belts are not touching the washers besides the bearings which guide the belt? This can add a lot of resistance to the movement.[/quote]
markus_kyroe wrote:
How do i fix this? Think it is allright? Have checked that it's the right version i use...
This should not be a problem, does not require change
I.e. which one? Why should this help? The version seems to work for others?
I have tried different print profiles and speed. Still a mess :-(
Any profile supplied with the software should work on the printer.
Is the solution then to buy a new motor for the x-axis or are there any other options which may cause the faillure?
Judging from your pictures and my experience is that the motor is having skipped steps:
1. Try to give more power at x-axis stepper driver
2. If that doesn't help check if there is some excessive friction. You should be able to move the axis with your hands fairly easy without feeling any high friction points along the whole stroke of the axis.

Another cause could be that there is a bad contact with the opto-sensor. This also results in sudden walking away of the motion.
- Check when pushing on the opto-sensor if the light keeps burning.
- Check when fiddling a little with the cables if the light still keeps burning
If these are ok, you know for sure it is not a optosensor problem. Another way to diagnose this is to check in repetier-host if you don't see a message opto-sensor triggered during printing.

I hope these tips get you going :)

markus_kyroe

Post by markus_kyroe »

Still struggling with getting the printer to work :-)

Have gone through all the steps... Still find it confusing with the adjustments of the trimpot - I have googled it. Sometimes its done ON the motor and some times it's done on the board? (http://wiki.makerbot.com/thingomatic-do ... f-settings).

Have made a little youtube video which I hope can show some of the problems.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozpn4isK ... e=youtu.be

Help is much appreciated :-)