First test print!

This is for general discussions. Also FAQ can be found here.

Moderator: speedake95

Kjetilei

Re: First test print!

Post by Kjetilei »

I'm not pretending that I know the answer so here goes what might be stupid input :)

It sounded quite like the belt was slipping on the pulley (I had that happen the first time I assembled the x-axis too loose). Check it out and tighten if needed.

Stepper driver shutdown to my knowledge sounds more like: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXpWqTwWXxc

How much friction do you have on the axis when the belt is not attached? The extruder should feel smooth and easy to move with your hand without the belt attached to the pulley.

Have you assured that the belt is not binding to any surfaces (pulley, extruder base through hole, x-axis belt mount)?

You could be in a situation with too much friction where applying more power results in driver overheating or turning down results in too low torque and stepper getting warm.

Kjetilei

Post by Kjetilei »

Wait! :)

I tested this on my own printer and was able to reproduce the same noise. It is the stepper skipping a single step as I can hear it. I'll test some more to see if it is caused by too much friction/too little torque or the driver shutting down only for a very short period (I don't think it's the issue).

Kjetilei

Post by Kjetilei »

I was unable to conclude on wether it was driver overheat or to little torque. The skipping occurred on z-axis with the Ramps taken out of the box = away from fan. When I placed it back again the skipping disappeared. The "easy" conclusion would be that it is a driver overheating problem, but I'm not certain and therefore will not conclude 100% :)

gfeliksdal
Site Admin

Post by gfeliksdal »

Hi Markus,

I think it is because having skipped steps. It sounds like the x axis stepper driving is overheating. It goes into self protection mode. I think that because the ticking is also happening when only the y axis is moving. For the printer the adjustment is made at the electronics board. On the four stepper drivers there is an adjustment screw. Fully counterclockwise means no power. Fully clockwise is full power. The correct setting is approx around 25% power. Also be careful when turning because it is a delicate screw.

markus_kyroe

Post by markus_kyroe »

Thanks a lot guys!!! Finally got it working :-)

I have been "tuning" the motors the wrong way all the time before :-) Doooh. New to electronics O:-) Found the four stepper drivers now!

Here's my first print :-) Not the best. But at least way better than before. Let the finetuning begin :-)
Attachments
First print
First print

markus_kyroe

Post by markus_kyroe »

Allready much better.

Printed the gcode file which was included with the test pieces.

The only variables I can copy from this is the fillament temp @ 210 C and bed temp @ 55 C.

Which parameters do you use for the rest in Slic3r? Printer Settings / Speed?

/Markus
Attachments
Much better :-)
Much better :-)

Kjetilei

Post by Kjetilei »

Congratulations!

You should look into the Skeinforge profiles that Guillaume supplies to get a feeling about the different speeds etc.

Some settings from the production exterior support profile:
Main feed rate 80 mm/s
Perimeter feed rate 30 mm/s
Main acceleration rate for extruder 300 mm/s2
Perimeter acceleration rate for extruder 50 mm/s2
Travel feed rate 130 mm/s

First layer main feed rate 25 mm/s
First layer perimeter feed rate 15 mm/s
First layer travel feed rate 50 mm/s

markus_kyroe

Post by markus_kyroe »

Thanks,

I have some trouble with Skeinforge... In the gcode tab I haven't got any visual representation after slicing. I have tried all the different profiles. Plus the print time is estimated till 38 minutes, really slow slow printing, which results in bad prints. Have tried to re-install the profiles from the "Repetier_host_2012_30_08" file but makes no difference. Is there another place where I can download the profiles or what am I doing wrong?

/Markus
Attachments
gcode tab after sliceing. ETA 38 min, no animation...
gcode tab after sliceing. ETA 38 min, no animation...
Right installment? Different profiles.
Right installment? Different profiles.

danielkschneider

Post by danielkschneider »

markus_kyroe wrote:Thanks,

I have some trouble with Skeinforge... In the gcode tab I haven't got any visual representation after slicing. I have tried all the different profiles. Plus the print time is estimated till 38 minutes, really slow slow printing, which results in bad prints. Have tried to re-install the profiles from the "Repetier_host_2012_30_08" file but makes no difference. Is there another place where I can download the profiles or what am I doing wrong?

/Markus
Slow printing results in good prints (unless you have some really special design)

Your list of profiles look ok

Estimated print time can be wrong (usually it underestimates though) and it any case it only shows it after you start printing (unless I got it wrong).

No idea, what could be the problem with your visual representation. SFACT (it's not really skeinforge that you use, in case you are attempted to google ...) comes with its own python and everything. Graphics card ?

Finally my cents on temperature: Generally speaking, the lower the better but I print most of my stuff between 205 and 210. It's safer for long prints I believe since hot PLA is almost guaranteed to come out and the nozzle can more easily slice through uneven bits, but then it's just beliefs ;). In addition, temp. can depend a lot on the PLA you have got.

- Daniel

markus_kyroe

Post by markus_kyroe »

The problem is that my prints get very bad at all other speeds and temperatures I have tried. The only one I have printed with succes is the testpiece with the premade .gcode.

Is it possible for someone to uploade a sfact profile so I have something to work with :-) Right now the generated gcode seems to print and move with 1 mm/s no matter which profile and which settings I make :-S