First run troubles

This is for general discussions. Also FAQ can be found here.

Moderator: speedake95

kennethagiusmosta

First run troubles

Post by kennethagiusmosta »

Hi to all,

I just have pluged-in my Felix for the first time. It's behaving strangely- All axis start (including the extruded motor) moving back and fort. I can't connect to it.

Did I did something wrong with the wiring? I believe it's more of a software problem.

Please help

Kenneth

kennethagiusmosta

Hi to all,

Managed to extrude some pla! In the process I broke up the pla inlet bracket. Not COMPLETELY. Hope to, at least, be able to print the extruder part.

Anyway...It was a software problem. I uninstalled and re-installed everything. Now need to calibrate the machine....hopefully I'll be able to print something by the end of today..

Keep you posted...

Thanks
Kenneth

gfeliksdal
Site Admin

Post by gfeliksdal »

Hi Kenneth,

The oscilating movement in all directions is the test firmware which had to be overwritten before connecting the printer to the powersupply :).

Glad it is now working. Sorry to hear you partly bork the PLA inlet bracket. How did that happen? As a quick fix you can use second glue. Do you have gcode file to print the extruder part?

Kind regards,

Guillaume.

kennethagiusmosta

Hi Guillaume,

I used glue as you suggested.
Pla inlet braket....em....my fault. I used a lot of force to remove curled pla stuck between the bearing and extruder motor gear. My mistake was not to remove anything.

I don't have the G-code to print the extruder part.

I'm attaching a pic re my first prints, which i'm not really proud of, but at least its a start. Any ideas for improvements?
first prints
first prints
Thanks for your reply
Kenneth

HLA

Post by HLA »

kennethagiusmosta wrote: In the process I broke up the pla inlet bracket.
Happened to me once after uncareful transportation to the extruder part. However, there is trick that works wonders: Use the PLA filament and the soldering iron to glue the part back on. Takes some efford to get it done, but holds like a charm.

Kjetilei

Post by Kjetilei »

Kenneth: Are you able to lower the distance between the bed and the hot end? That might do the trick.

There is little margin for error when it comes to distance and it is also important that the bed is level and hot before you start the print.

There should be little to no bend of the filament when it leaves the hot end and lays down on the hot bed (at least from my experience).

You could try to lower the distance even further so that the hot end head "squeezes" the filament down on the bed instead of laying it down with a little distance from the head to the top of the filament. You do this at your own risk since it could damage the hot end if the bed is not level ;) Please remember to use blue tape or similar if you decide to test this since the tape acts as a buffer between the hot end and the bed.

The times I have done it I have struggled with getting the part of the bed :) I have also "scraped" the hot end along the bed a couple of times when doing this due to a slight miscalculation of height, leaving a big dent in the tape but no damage to the hot end or Kapton tape beneath the blue tape.

kennethagiusmosta

Kjetilei

Thanks for you suggestions. I give it a try. I think that I have leveled the table, paper clearance between it and the hot end. I'm not sure it's all-the-way-along the table!

Thanks
Kenneth.

suraki

Post by suraki »

Hi!

I hope you dont mind if I write here, I did not want to open a new topic with the same subject.
After a few calibration runs, I got these results:
In the background, the first one was too big for the Z-axis distance.
The second one of the first layer is in place, but then the fibers are not stuck to each other.
The third one (the nearest in the picture) I raised 5 degrees the hot-end temperature to 180C.
Definitely not an exhibition items, but i see the progress.
I am very happy now, this is my first 3D print! :D
Here's a closer picture of the last test:
I see periodic vibration and Z-axis wobble. Am i right?
Any suggestions for further steps in the fine-tuning?

Kjetilei

Post by Kjetilei »

Hi suraki,

Congratulations with your first 3D print :)

Yes it does seem like you have some vibrations/z-axis wobble. Could you make a quick video of the printer printing this calibration part? That might give us more pointers into areas to improve.

suraki

Post by suraki »

Hi Kjetilei!

I try to capture the pre-print calibration and you can see when made a mistake while building the model:
http://youtu.be/WrPrFgAmBEE

Here is the another one with more complex structure:
http://youtu.be/lb2DFyXAuqU

and few more details:

the closer one is the back side (first layer):

Thanks for your help!